5001 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Microserver Gen10 Plus: No video with Displayport

akvadrako
Visitor

Microserver Gen10 Plus: No video with Displayport

Hello,

I recently setup a Gen10+ microserver using VGA and iLO, which both work. But when I connect it to a Displayport monitor I don't see anything and the monitor reports "No Signal". The monitor is an Acer S277HK which has DP1.2. I have tried two cables, DP->DP and DP->mini-DP. The monitor works with DP and other systems.

When I boot (into Linux) I only see what looks like a VGA device

sudo dmesg | grep -Ei 'drm|vga'
    [    0.252720] pci 0000:01:00.1: vgaarb: setting as boot VGA device
    [    0.252720] pci 0000:01:00.1: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=io+mem,locks=none
    [    0.252720] pci 0000:01:00.1: vgaarb: bridge control possible
    [    0.252720] vgaarb: loaded
    [    1.042703] fb0: EFI VGA frame buffer device
    [    2.798687] fb: switching to mgag200drmfb from EFI VGA
    [    2.933104] fbcon: mgadrmfb (fb0) is primary device
    [    3.037211] mgag200 0000:01:00.1: fb0: mgadrmfb frame buffer device
    [    3.055726] [drm] Initialized mgag200 1.0.0 20110418 for 0000:01:00.1 on minor 0

I have found one related issue: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/HPE-Microserver-gen10-no-video-on-displayport/m-p/7088061#

Is Displayport supposed to be working via the BIOS or via Linux?

Thanks! ~ Devin

5 REPLIES 5
akvadrako
Visitor

So after playing around with it more DP does work during the firmware boot and in the linux console, but it seems to require plugging in the cable before powering the server on. Or some other magic I haven't identified.

The dmesg output looks the same when it's working also.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Microserver Gen10s comes with Display Ports 1.2,follow the server quickspecs,

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008701enw

Are you trying to connect the display port dongle adapter cable to transfer the DisplayPort to a VGA source? If yes, the DisplayPort design for DisplayPort 1.2 requires an тАЬactiveтАЭ dongle adapter cable to transfer video output.

To isolate whether it is display port adapter or display driver issue, please install OS using the VGA port and later switch to display port.

You may also connect to a monitor having display port (i.e. display port to display port connection)

Advisory: (Revision) HPE ProLiant Gen10 and ProLiant Gen10 Plus Servers - Video Loss or Black Screen May Occur When Connecting Through Either the Video Graphics Array (VGA) Connector or DisplayPort Connections

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00056172en_us

Let me know if the issue still persist

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

akvadrako
Visitor

I am using a DPтЖТDP cable, no adapters. When it doesn't work it doesn't work in the OS or via the BIOS. It would be good to know when it's supposed to work - if there are any requirements besides just plugging in the DP cable.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest to follow the Microserver Gen10 Plus and shared documents, no any other option.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

chrisGNV
Occasional Contributor

Is that actually an answer to the question?