5793 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Microserver Gen10+ without SSD?

Hadmut
Occasional Visitor

Microserver Gen10+ without SSD?

Hi,

I just don't get it: How on earth can one design a micro (SOHO) server machine today without an SSD slot?

The Gen10 at least had a mounting kit to put an SSD into the optical disk drive bay.

It's a typical setup today to have the software (which doesn't need backup and redundancy, because can easily reinstalled) on fast SSD, and the heap of data, which needs redundancy, on huge physical disks with RAID5+spare or ZFS.

Putting the SSD in one of the regular slots would waste a slot, and for huge disks at least two redundant disks would be necessary, so there's no spare slot.

So I'm wondering why HPE designed that machine without an M.2 SSD slot.

4 REPLIES 4
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Re: Microserver Gen10+ without SSD?

Hi Hadmut ,

Micro server Gen10 doesnt have HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 Controller to manage the M.2 SATA SSDs. The S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID support requires that the server boot mode be set to UEFIi .

This server designed for a small business applications,so its working as diesigned .If you want to use the M.2 drive you have to go for other options like ML/DL servers which have the S100i controller

Please find the below quick specs for your reference
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008701enw

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Hadmut
Occasional Visitor

This missed the question twice.

1. I was asking about Gen10 plus, not about Gen10
  2. It's technically wrong. The Gen10 can easily handle an additional SATA SSD, and I'm pretty sure about this, because my Gen10 Server does have an additional SATA SSD. HPE itself sold the mounting kit to mount it in the optical drive bay. It's form factor 2.5inch, but the interface is the same as with an M.2 SATA, so the chipset of the Gen10 is provably able to cope with a fifth drive.
  3. It doesn't take a smart array to handle an SSD. It either takes a SATA port for an M.2 SATA oder 2.5 inch bay, or just some NVME/PCIe bus, which even the Gen10 plus provably has. BTW, that's the way the Gen10 did it, and my question is, why HPE does not provide these essential functions by default.

For the Gen10 I was wondering, why it takes a mounting kit to be purchased separately to just mount a state of the art SSD drive, but at the end of the day it was working as expected.

Now they come with a Gen10 plus (call it plus), but just dropped the option to have the machine boot and take it's software from a fast SSD.

Has HPE simply forgotten to consider booting from an SSD as with the Gen10? Accidently lost this for the specs?

Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Hi Hadmut ,

Refer  the below  Microserver Gen 10 Plus QuickSpecs to know the supported HDD/SSD.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00073554enw

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Ondrej_SK

@Sebasbin  I am confused a bit,
I have thought, that its possible use the HPE Universal SATA HHHL M.2 Kit in this server and manage the SSDs  with HPE Smart Array S100i SR. 
The controler info here states is should be posible in UEFI to control 2x SSDs in Universal adapter with 4x SATA bay.

Please correct me if i am wrong.