1752605 Members
4896 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrate RAID 5 from B120i controller to S100i controller

bkp_duke
Occasional Advisor

Migrate RAID 5 from B120i controller to S100i controller

Would it be possible to just pull the disks out of an HP Microserver Gen8 with a B120i controller and put them in a new Microserver Gen10 Plus running the S100i controller?

Really not wanting to copy nearly 20TB of data and purchase new disks.

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Migrate RAID 5 from B120i controller to S100i controller

Hello,

you can not install the raid configuration hard disk with the different Smart Array controller.

You should have the same hardware ( Same generation server with the same SA controller)  If you want to use the hard disk with the raid configuration.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

bkp_duke
Occasional Advisor

That seems short-sighted.  If I have to build a new array to move all this data, I'm going to consider other server vendors now.  The entire point of going with the HPE ecosystem was to be able to move things like RAID arrays to new servers in the future.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

This is the raid technology, the SA controller or raid controller should be the same if we want to move and raid configuration HDD to another server.

The тАЬSтАЭ stands for Software RAID. The S100i is replacing the B140i as the embedded controller on Gen10 servers. This is a 6Gb/s controller that only supports SATA drives and is a Software RAID controller, not a Hardware RAID controller (please note the тАЬiтАЭ doesnтАЩt stand for embedded like it used to тАФ it stands for the fact that this controller only supports internal drive connections. More on this below). Like the B140i this controller can only be used with the BIOS in UEFI mode.

Please follow the above information., I hope it will help to understand.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SymonB

Hi,

I have two HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 both with HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controllerss. Both servers are configured with 4 drives 2TB each in raid 5 setup.

One of the servers has developed a fault and will not load past the loading screen of the Smart Array options and just sits there. 

I managed to gain access via iLO and was told there is some flash card error.

I woud like to know please if I can transfer the raid set from the non working server to the working machine please?

I tried in advance but the working server then reported a controller error saying the configuration doesn't match. At this point I stopped what I was doing and turned off the machine.

The Smart array said if I continued the configuraion would be lost and possible the data, I was wandering if this was refering to the data on the controller and not the drives?

I've backup up the working server so I don't need this raid setup, therefore I'm wondering if I place the drives in the correct order and create an array with the drives from the non working server, will I maintain the data on those drives?

I appreciated any assistance anyone is able to give to me.