ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752806 Members
5985 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: More than 12 drives possible on HP Proliant Microserver?

mccar75287
Visitor

More than 12 drives possible on HP Proliant Microserver?

I have the N36L and have installed a PCIex1 card with two esata connectors.

This I have attached to an 8 bay  esata enclosure. Two connectors from the enclosure to the card.

The Proliant on boot allows entry into the  esata cards bios which correctly lists the 8 drivesin the external enclosure by model number and serial number.

In the Proliant itself I have the 4 internal bays occupied and have the OS in the ODD bay on the original 250GB disk.

Problem is after the esta cards bios test I can press F10 to get into the Proliant bios. But here it lists only 12 drives.

With the result that one of the 8 in the enclosure is not listed and thus is not available to the OS.

The Proliant bios lists the OS drive, the 4 internal and the first 7 in the enlosure.

The enclosure drives are all healthy. If I swap their slot locations within the enclosure I can see in the Proliant bios that the movement is seen but it will always only list the first 7 in the enclosure. So it seems the Proliant Bios is locked to see only 12 hard drives.

Likewise the OS presents only these 12 drives made available through the Proliant bios.

Is there anyone who can confirm this and more to the point, is there any way of increasing or getting around this 12 drive limit?

2 REPLIES 2
mccar75287
Visitor

Anyone from HP that can comment on this?

Nitraner
Occasional Visitor

Did you try to remove one of internal drives?

In case Microserver RAID bios will show 11 drives the problem is with your extension card.

In other case the limitation is really in the server.

Try to put it into another PC. What is the result?