ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752800 Members
5466 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move scsi drives to new ml350 G4P server

Robbie Wilson

Move scsi drives to new ml350 G4P server

We have a Proliant ML350 G3 running Windows 2000 Server with a 532 array controller and want to move hard drives only to new ML350 G4P with 641 array controller. It gets a inaccessible boot device error as soon as the Windows 2000 Server splash screen pops up. What do we need to do in order to just move the drives (data) over easily. Thanks for the help. Robbie
6 REPLIES 6
CA1413955
Occasional Advisor

hi there

not to sure if this is going to work for you but it's worked once for me..

leave the drives in ur old server and remove the SA 641 controller from the new server and just install it into the old server and boot off the old controller.. and once in windows 2000 load the drivers for the SA 641 card and then power down the server ... swap the drive over to the new card (still installed in the old server) and try and boot the drives from the SA 641 card..

like i said not to sure if it'll work coz the SA 641 controller doesn't know about the RAID array that the disks are apart of..

let me know how it goes

thanks for ur time

cheers

Justin
Robbie Wilson

Thanks for the reply. I will try this. Only thing is I am not sure the 641 is compatible with this system. I know for sure the 532 isn't compatible with the G4p system but the 641 should work in the old system. Worth a shot. I will let you know. Thanks. Robbie
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Robbie, are you attempting to boot the ML350 G4P / SA-641 with the operating system drives from the ML350 G3?
Robbie Wilson

Yes, I am attempting to move the OS and data drives from the G3 to the G4P without having to change anything except the controller. Thanks. Robbie
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I've seen what All Computer Magic described work successfully to change from one controller to another. I agree with his process.

If after following his process, it still will not boot successfully in the new server, just perform the Windows Repair process to correct for any anomalies.
Robbie Wilson

Followed this process. Updated firmware of both servers and array controllers. Put the SA 641 in the old server and updated the drivers. Booted and change order to the 641. Saw drives okay. Moved drives and array controller to new server. After server found all the hardware and all seemed to work okay. Had to make some more driver updates but all went well. Thanks to all for the help. Robbie