Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers - Netservers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Drive Failure

JOHN FLEMING
Occasional Visitor

Multiple Drive Failure

DL380 G3 Server
Smart Array 5i
RAID 5 Configuration

Suddenly had 2 drives showing predictive failure alert. Replaced one drive to start rebuild. Approximately 1 1/2 hours later a third drive completely failed bringing the system down.

I do not believe that this was drive failure as I have been able to move the entire array to another server of the same type and bring the system up and verify data integrity. I replaced the failed drive and let it rebuild, then replaced the 2nd drive showing a predictive failure and let it rebuild.

I now want to determine the cause of the original failure. Does anyone have any suggestions how I should diagnose this issue?

1 REPLY
Jerry Young
Occasional Visitor

Re: Multiple Drive Failure

Hello John, this does sound strange but at least you were able to save your data! The first things I would look at are the RAID Controller and also the backplane that the drives plug into. Possibly download and install the latest firmware CD (8.60 depending on the o/s) for your DL380. Again depending on the O/S installed review the System Management Homepage and iLO (if licensed and configured).