1753709 Members
4544 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

N57L server only booting with J19 in position 2-3

johmue
Occasional Contributor

N57L server only booting with J19 in position 2-3

I have an old N57L server which I have bee using now for more than 7 years without issues. As the fan got louder now I tried to replace it with a usual 4pin fan. After installing the new fan the system did no longer power up. Even putting in the old fan did not help. The diagnosis LED gets red even though the fan is spinning.

The system does start if the jumper J19 is in position 2-3. But then the BIOS is reset every time.

Any ideas what to do?

4 REPLIES 4
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: N57L server only booting with J19 in position 2-3

Hello,

Assuming that the server is HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 does not appear to have a jumper setting. You may refer to the server's system maintenance switch information from the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 user guide, page 11. There is however, no information about jumper J19.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

johmue
Occasional Contributor

@TVVJ 

It is a HP ProLiant G7 MicroServer N54L

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello ,

The "HP ProLiant MicroServer - System Views" indicate that the jumpers you mentioned appear to clear CMOS. Please place the jumper on 1 and 2 so that it is nornal. If it does not , then it means that there could be an issue with pin 1, which would mean a system board replacement.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

johmue
Occasional Contributor

If I put the jumper to position 1-2 the server won't start. A connected vga screen will go to sleep, the hp led will get red immedeately.

In the meantime I worked around it somehow. The system actually boots up and runs stable now since a couple of days with the jumper in position 2-3. I am not sure if this will lead to problems later, though.