ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752295 Members
4592 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error in a Proliant DL380 G3

Calixto Hernandez

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error in a Proliant DL380 G3

I have a Proliant DL380 G3 with windows 2003 Standard and it does not start the Operating System because it goes in blue screen with the followin error:

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Before installing W2K3 I had Windows 2000 Server installed and there was no problem, but I am having the described error with 2003, Does anyone can help me with this, please?

Thanks a lot

Calixto
1 REPLY 1
Attila Szabó
Frequent Advisor

Re: NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error in a Proliant DL380 G3

Dear Hernandez,

First, check the BIOS revision, Windows 2003 supported from version 4.03 (2003.03.25), but the minimum recommened version is 4.09 (2004.09.15) (included critical bugfixes). So if your is not ver. 4.09, first upgrade BIOS firmware and try to install again.

From hardware side, first, check the front of your server. There is an internal health LED, the first is that from the top.

If its amber, check the internal LEDs near the memory modules, and ask a service provider to replace it, if any of that is amber.

If the health LED is green, then check the server with Insight Diagnostics.
Just boot from a Smartstart CD (the ver. 7.60 can be downloaded from here: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/25190.html ).

When you boot up with smartstart, you will find Insight Diagnostics at utilities, run all memory tests serveral times against the memory modules.

- before you pull out any memory modules, disconnect the power cable -

If the problem is the same, and you cannot find, which memory module is bad. you can check it with only one memory bank populated. In DL380, the memory modules populated in pairs, so if you have more then two modules installed, take out all of them, and try the install with one bank (two modules)

If it fails, try with another two modules.

If it fails again, then its a motherboard problem, so check the warranty at an HP service partner, and ask for server repair if its under warranty.

I hope it helps,
Attila