ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752546 Members
4935 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need a program to monitor NetServer LC 3 temperatures, voltage and fan speed.

Need a program to monitor NetServer LC 3 temperatures, voltage and fan speed.

I have a NetServer LC 3 that I am using as a PC (and not as a server). I am running Win XP Professional. I am looking for a small program that will monitor and alert me when the voltage, fan speed or internal temperatures go outside preset values. I have had these monitors on all my previous PCs. I have down loaded them from the websites of the motherboard manufacturer.

Last week I submitted a question to HP tech support asking if HP had such a monitor. Within a day I got back the answer: 1) Win XP Professional is not a supported OS for the LC 3, and 2) down load and install HP TopTool. Now while this answer is technically correct, it was zero help. I do not want to run a server OS, I do not need a server OS, and I can not afford a server OS. And TopTool is a real BIG over kill for what I am looking for, even if I could install it under Win XP. (The zipped down load files for this program are over half a gig, and it says that you will need over a gig of hard drive space to install it!!)

So... does anyone have or know where I can get a temperatures, voltage and fan speed monitor program for a HP NetServer LC 3?

Thanks,
Richard Whitnable
2 REPLIES 2
CA706919
Advisor

Re: Need a program to monitor NetServer LC 3 temperatures, voltage and fan speed.

Hi Richard,

I have not tried it but you can try to install instant toptools; its a minor program and does a single instant check only.

You can find at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=19774&prodSeriesId=50440&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=COL3288&locBasepartNum=ns-11142-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+2000+Server&tech=Utility++HP+Instant+Toptools

or try generic programs like speedmon etc that work on many vendor specific servers as well as it just queries the I2c or systemmanaagement busses.

Again I don't know if it will work and all the best in trying it out, jeroen
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a program to monitor NetServer LC 3 temperatures, voltage and fan speed.

The LC3 is a supported server for Instant Top Tools. Instant Top Tools (ITT) is a lot less invasive & uses a lot less server overhead than Top Tools does, so I would try it.

The thing is that when HP says an operating system isn't supported, all they mean is that they never tested that particular OS on that particular system. As a result, they won't help you install it and they absolutely will not help you if something goes wrong with it. Also, if the system is under warranty, they will not replace any parts until the system is in a supported configuration. But, the LC3 has long since ceased being under any kind of warranty, so I would try it.

If you're really paranoid about it, you could create a restore point & back up your data before installing ITT in case something drastic happens. But, since ITT runs in just a web page, I think the risk is pretty low that the system would become unstable as a result of installing it.

Alicia