4794 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetRAID 1M - Harddisk replacement

TWirl
Occasional Contributor

NetRAID 1M - Harddisk replacement

Hi,
one of our NetServer TC4100 harddisks (on a NetRAID 1M controller - RAID5, 3HDDs) started to sound strange. I would like to replace it. However, the server has 18GB drives, almost impossible to purchase nowadays. Is there any chance to replace one of the 18GB drives by a higher capacity drive available today? What about U160 / U320, all today's drives are U320?

Thx in advance,
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

The NetRAID-1M card is an Ultra-3 controller, therefore installing U3 drives is not an issue. Using U320 drives, although not supported by HP, will still work because they are backwards compatible and will run at U3 speeds. Also, you can replace an 18GB drive with a larger drive and still have it participate in the array but will lose the additional space. If you are just planning on replacing all three drives, I would likely go with the P4621A - 73.4GB - 10Krpm - Ultra-3 drives. They come mounted in the drive tray.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
james glass
Advisor

twirl-
go to ebay. There are TONS of 18gig HP drives, in the tray, available for under $50. I just purchase 6 36gig drvies and 12 74 gig drives-- all hp or seagate, all in the caddies.
TWirl
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sean,

is there any problem using the original 18GB drives together with the P4621A - 73.4GB drives on the same bus? E.g. RAID1 (C:\) with 2 18GB and RAID3 (D:\) with 3 P4621A - 73.4GB drives?

Thx again,
Tom
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Twirl,

That, in fact is probably the best way to do it: 2x18GB drives in RAID-1 for the O/S and 3x73GB drives for your data. The only thing I would change is the RAID level. RAID-5 is probably the best solution for those drives.

Let us know how it works out,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.