1748061 Members
5596 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetServer E800 IDE disk limitations

Jason Klinger

NetServer E800 IDE disk limitations

Hello,

I want to add a 250 GB IDE hard drive to my E800. I am running the latest 4.06.18PQ BIOS and Windows Server 2003 Standard.

This is a dual PIII 1.0 Ghz box with 1 GB RAM and a single 73 GB SCSI drive.

Will the BIOS recognize drives in excess of the 137 GB limitation?

Thanks,
Jason :)
7 REPLIES 7
CA1036363
Frequent Advisor

Re: NetServer E800 IDE disk limitations

Jason,

I do not believe that the issues is size of the hdd. This server was designed to support ONLY SCSI drives. IDE drives are NOT supported on the IDE controller.

Hope this helps.
Jason Klinger

Yes, there is an onboard IDE controller in this server. I added 2 x 80 GB IDE drives in addition to the 73 GB SCSI drive, without issue. Also, the DVD-ROM I installed is IDE.

Was originally wanting to eliminate the separate IDE drives and replace with a single hi-cap drive. This was less expensive than a SCSI RAID solution which would provide the same capacity, especially since I don't really need drive redundancy.

I opted to go with an external USB drive anyhow, so any BIOS limitation which may be in place was bypassed. Attached it to a USB 2.0 card which I also installed. Works like a charm.

Thanks,
Jason:)
Daniel Bouman

Hi Jason,

I just posted my own E800/IDE problem post when I noticed yours. How did you connect the 2x 80GB and the dvdrom? On my machine it even does not recognize the primary slave....

Thanks,

Daniel
Jason Klinger

DVD - Primary Master
none - Primary Slave

80 GB HD_0 - Secondary Master
80 GB HD_1 - Secondary Slave

Both IDE 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache...One is WD, the other Maxtor.

I had no luck with cable select, but I prefer not to use that anyhow.
Daniel Bouman

Hi Jason,

Yesterday I tried your setup but so far no luck.. I have updated my bios from 4.06.16 to 4.06.18 but that made no difference, it just does not see the drive :-(
I have scored a 36.8GB SCSI disk so I will try to boot from that. Maybe if I intall 2003 on that it will see the IDE drive(s) after booting...

Best regards,

Daniel
Jason Klinger

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear you're having such trouble. At this point all I can offer are the basics (Which I'm sure you've already done ad nauseum):

-Snug up the power and ribbon cables (use 40-pin/80-wire IDE cables if possible)
-Double-check all master/slave jumpers
-Verify BIOS settings (drive auto-config)
-Maybe even try clearing the BIOS and letting it "re-find" all storage devices.

Let me know how things go.
philippe LESPINATS

hello,

I don't speak english very good, so excuse me by advance.

I read that you have installed a USB 2.0 card into your netserver E800.

Can i ask you witch model that card is, and in witch pci slot you installed it ?

thank you for answerring.

Philippe