1748194 Members
4427 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetServer LP 2000r -- steady red light for Fan

CA1295230
Occasional Contributor

NetServer LP 2000r -- steady red light for Fan

I have a steady red light on the fan LED. The documentation indicates that results from any one of the four fans running slower than normal. How can I find out which fan is running slow? How can I obtain replacement fans? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: NetServer LP 2000r -- steady red light for Fan

Hi Dane,

Is this a Windows server? If so, you can use Instant TopTools to check the fan sensors; it will tell you exactly which fan is giving you a problem. Also, if all the fan speeds are good, you may just need to clear your hardware event log, which can also be done using ITT.

You can download it here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&prodNameId=30461&swEnvOID=226&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-11142-1

Alternatively, you can contact the friendly support staff at 1-800-474-6836 and say "Netserver" at the prompt. They will be happy to walk you through identifying the failed fan, provide you the part number and show you how to go about ordering a replacement.

Best of luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
CA1295230
Occasional Contributor

Re: NetServer LP 2000r -- steady red light for Fan

Sean, thanks for the response. I installed Instant Toptools, and it IDs the fans by 1, 2, 3, etc. I looked for different schematics but didn't find anything that looked like it would pinpoint the device.
But I opened the box and found the struggling fan. I removed it (without powering down, mind you), blew out the dust and gave it a shot of WD-40. Wiped it out real good, plugged it back in, and it took off running. Red light went out.