4520 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetServer LPr - can't go past 650 MHz (!) - D9431A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leo Baghdassarian_1

NetServer LPr - can't go past 650 MHz (!) - D9431A

This is regarding an older NetServer LPr that was an original 650 MHz version (D9431A). I have the latest bios (v35) and have upgraded to faster processors. However, the system is not recognizing the faster processors (in either dual or single processor configuration)and is stuck running at 650 MHz. Even if I use the DIP switches to enable a SLOWER processor (i.e. drop it down to 500 MHz). During post, it shows that I have a 650 MHz processor. Am I missing something here? Do i need to do something else to tell it that there is a faster processor in there?
16 REPLIES 16
CA859951
Honored Contributor
Solution

Leo:

Here is the Processor Upgrade Installation Guide:
http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11776/lpn11776.pdf

You probly just need to re-run the NetServer Diag Tools and save the new configuration.
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
Leo Baghdassarian
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply John. I didn't think it would be necessary to run any software or configuration utilities (i thought the DIP switches would tell all).

I will give this a shot next time I am in front of the machine.

On another note, in theory, would I be able to install P3 processors that run off a 133 MHz bus in the LPr (which runs at 100MHz bus)? The processors that run at 133 are actually cheaper than the 100 MHz units. So, for example, how would an LPr behave if I installed 866 MHz P3's and told the server that they were 850 MHz? (this is NOT what I am doing, I was just thinking about it)

Thanks,
Leo
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Well... the docs show the upgrade process requirements are as follows:
http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn12763/lpn12763.pdf

I would not push the clock up on this server. It would cause sync errors.

So... Since your LPr was a 650 to begin with, you should have the correct VRM's installed (Part Number 0950-3633) otherwise, you need to replace them. You have already installed the latest ROM, so you are good there... the only thing left is the Processors:

850MHz Processor(s); Part Number: P2434-63001
Intel Pentium III processor - 850MHz (Coppermine, 100MHz front side bus, 256KB Level-2 cache)
Aproximately $550.00 retail. I am sure you can find this for much less.

Should you need them, here is the VRM:

5.v VRM; Part Number: 0950-3633
Voltage regulator module 8.4 (VRM, Delta 05S2020U1) - 5VDC input, 2.8VDC output, 17A - For Pentium III processors 533MHz and faster (Coppermine processors only)
Aproximately $30.00 retail.

Here is a link to the Part Surfer:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=modinfo&model=LPR+PIII/850

Is this the info you needed?
Leo Baghdassarian
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I have the correct VRM's and processors already purchased - I still need to try the "NetServer Diag Tools" to see if the config sticks (my original problem).

But I wanted to know if I could throw 866 MHz processors in the LPr and if it would work. I wasn't going to overclock anything... I was actually talking about UNDERclocking an 866/133 processor down to the LPr's 850/100 setting.

I wanted to know if this would even work.

Thanks
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... not sure.

The 866 Coppermine processor may work. One problem may be mounting the heatsink. The other is that the 866 (1.65 volts) voltage is a bit diferent than the 850 (1.600 volts).

I am not sure.

Here is a link to the SpecFinder:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/sb/CS-012653.htm
Leo Baghdassarian_1

I just don't get it, I have tried everything and I cannot get this server to see anything other than 650 MHz... Is it possible that it is "hard-wired" into the system? Am I missing something when running the Diag tools??
CA1188635
Frequent Advisor

Are you only going by what it sais during post on processor speed?
If so check it In windows.
My E60 shows P3 700 at post but in windows it shows 750 like it is, And it looks like I am stuck with this becouse of no longer being supported.

Good luck,Scott
Leo Baghdassarian_1

Hmmm... problem is, I am not using windows... its running linux. and processor info always showed 650 MHz :-(

Unfortunately I never got this problem fixed.
CA1188635
Frequent Advisor

Not really delt with Linux that much but I'm sure there are programs thay will show what speed that it is really running at.
Just becouse the bios does not see it dont mean it aint running faster.
When the bios was writen there was no microcode for the faster processors and if they dont update bios it will see it as the fastest speed at the latest bios update.

Like in Windows I use either Everest home edition,Sandra or PC Wizzard 2004 to show what is really going on as far as speed and system temps.

Good lusk,Scott