1753287 Members
5578 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LH II Boot problem

CA784260
Occasional Advisor

Netserver LH II Boot problem

My system requires that you insert a floppy in drive A to boot. The same files are located on the C drive, boot.ini ect, but the system does not look to the C drive.
The C drive is the primary active partition. Is there something in the BIOS that must be changed?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LH II Boot problem

check if effectively the right boot partition is active (check booting a dos floppy and start FDISk, check the active partition)
be sure (if present) to avoid activate the utility partition

You MBR may also be corrupted

bye

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA784260
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, One other twist to this problem. The operating system is located on an IDE drive that is connected to the optional connection on the system board. Is there a way to tell the system to look for this drive at bootup?

Thanks Scott
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi

well ide disk are not supported on netservers,
but the ide channel is checked for cd-rom and will be in the boot list.
Check if the bios is disable on your integrated scsi channel

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
CA784260
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
From what I can tell the BIOS on the SCSI adapter is enabled.
Should this be disabled?

Thanks Scott
CA660377
Honored Contributor

When you see the adaptec controller banner on post, Press CTRL and A. This will bring you into the BIOS of the SCSI controller. Goto Confgiure/View host adapter settings, then goto advanced configuration options. Go down to Host adapter BIOS, and change that to disable.
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi
the LH II need the Eisa Config Utility to access bios.
If the scsi bios is enable it can interfere with other boot devices, as tell before ide disk is not supported, so try to desable the SCSI Bios to see if the system boot correctly.
Also on some bios there is a selection for "PCI SCSI Boot Priority Order" ,set it for pci controller before scsi controller
Did this system work in the past?
If yes, this may be caused by software problem, then you need a software suppot to repair system or reinstall
CA784260
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I did not build the system so I'm not sure if it ever worked. I will try these fixes when I can reboot the system. I get conflicting information from HP, some stating that this should work and others stating it will never work??
Thanks for all your help!!

Scott