Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
ProLiant Servers - Netservers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to SB servers.

STS_JSJ
Occasional Visitor

New to SB servers.

Never set up a server or worked with Linux before, pretty competent with computers and can handle the learning curve.  A small business application to store payroll records and CadCam/3D Modeling files to be accessed from a remote workstation, modified, and saved.  Just to get started for now this is what I am thinking of buying and installing Ubuntu Server LTS: 

HP ProLiant 4U Micro Tower Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 3.10 GHz 724977-S01

It will run from my home with a consistent 85 - 110+ MBPS standard residential hardwired modem.  I realize this is a minimalist approach for now but does anybody see any major flaws with my line of thinking?  Security is a must so VPN,  which I believe is included with the Ubuntu package, for a total of four to six users will be implemented.  Planning on 2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Sata III SSDs, one for OS, one for daily backups plus an external HD as a second backup.  My understanding is not much ram is required for server applications and I see this server listed as 2GB ram but in a questions section someone replied it came with 4GB ram.

Thank you.

Technical Details

Processor 3.10 GHz Intel Xeon RAM 2 GB DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive 0 GB Graphics Coprocessor Integrated Chipset Brand Intel
Brand Name HP Item model number 724977-S01 Hardware Platform PC Operating System None Item Weight 35.6 pounds Item Dimensions L x W x H 23 x 19.50 x 13 inches Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 2 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA