3829 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No S3 (Suspend to RAM / Standby) on Proliant N36L

Christian Salzinger
Occasional Contributor

No S3 (Suspend to RAM / Standby) on Proliant N36L

Hi,

I have just recently bought a N36L Microserver and found in a number of sites info about the fact that the BIOS does not support a real standby (S3), only Hibernate which is not a real option vs. a real standby. I wonder if anybody has had contact with HP and have maybe heard about plans to include this in a future BIOS update. I could first not really believe that a BIOS of such a new product does not support such a power saving feature. Thanks for feedback and thoughts.

4 REPLIES 4
jisakiel

I certainly have put up my acquisition based on this factor only, as otherwise it would consider it to be the perfect home / SOHO server... Hibernation in Linux is, imho, too slow and fragile to be useful.

I consider it also an important factor for HTPC usage, where speed waking up is crucial. Nonetheless HP does not seem interested in covering these market sectors... :(

johnk22
Occasional Visitor

This will be a good test of HP's ability to respond quickly to a changing market. The Microserver was introduced as a cheap option for small businesses, but judging by various web forums, it is selling by the truckload to people setting up home servers/HTPCs.

The reason there is no S3 option is that "servers don't sleep". Maybe true in a business environment but not true in the Microserver's new home user market. HP are you listening?

The other shock I received as a home user was the fact that HP appears to have used a proprietary fan socket on the motherboard, so I can't use a quieter/more efficient fan. Why?
selectiveapathy
Occasional Visitor

Yes I would also really like to see S3 support.

Surely in a small business (~10) who also want green credentials, S3 is needed!

selectiveapathy
Occasional Visitor

Contacted HP regarding S3 on the Microserver.
Got a phonecall this afternoon saying that they are not planning on supporting it either...