8677 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Notification of drive failure?

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1310631

Notification of drive failure?

I've got a Proliant DL360 with Smart Array 5i hardware, and all I want is for it to send out an email alert if there is a drive failure, so we can swap out the bad drive. I've been searching the HP website trying to find a simple way to do this for the past few days and have not found any. I don't want to install HP Insight Management, or make a central CMS server or whatever HP wants me to do because that is just way to complicated and will waste way too much of my time. The old DL320s were easy -- I just installed Promise's little app and was done with all 20 of them in about 3 hours. Is there anything similar that I can use for my DL360s?
3 REPLIES 3
CA1305537
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Notification of drive failure?

Hi Peter;

If you have a spare XP desktop in your environment you could remotely monitor the drive status via vbscript and WMI...

With a few adjustments this script could even be run as a service. If that would insterest you, let me know and I'll post that code...

Here is a script to monitor the drive status of the machine and send an e-mail if the status <> OK. You could run this as a scheduled task remotely or on the server, but if the drive progresses past Pred Fail (Predicted Failure) status the task is not guranteed to run...
CA1310631

Thanks a lot, I never thought of that. I can just write the script myself, though thank you for the offer.
CA1305537
Occasional Advisor

There's one attached to my previous reply that you are welcomed to use...