1752759 Members
4959 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

OEM HP server-Adaptec SCSI RAID pci card trouble

Joel Burnett
Occasional Contributor

OEM HP server-Adaptec SCSI RAID pci card trouble

I have a HP Pavilion a1630n Desktop with the stock AMD am2 motherboard that had a sata hard drive failure. My friend gave me 3x 146GB Maxtor SCSI HDDs and recommended finding an Adaptec 2120s PCI SCSI RAID controller card. I purchased one from an online seller and installed in the case with the drives. The card recognized and set up the drives fine. I installed XP and it copied files and rebooted. During the setup, the XP splash logo was displayed and then the system rebooted unexpectedly. I thought there might be a problem with the RAID5 array and tried installing on only 1 HDD and had the same problem during install. **Here is where it gets fun** I called adaptec support and gave them the serial# on the card. They said it was an OEM product from HP for a server. I can find no information or help after many hours of research. The card and HDDs appear to work fine but will not install XP, possibly because of firmware/drivers. Any help would be much appreciated. I was planning to upgrade to Windows7 and all the hardware is supposed to be compatible.