ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1748038 Members
4820 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Old proliant will not power up.

James B Hainsworth

Old proliant will not power up.

I have a very old proliant 4500 that I cannot get to power on. I have a spare power supply but the "new" one does the same thing. When I turn on the power it flashes the drives and shuts off. I know it should be retired, but the system needs to resurrected first.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven_144
Frequent Advisor

Hi James,

Check your memory modules... one could be bad. Pull one module out at a time and start the computer and see what happens, this will isolate the good memory from the bad. If this dosn't fix the problem; replace the CMOS battery and start the computer.

Let me know what happens :-)

Nytro

Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi James

Bring the server hardware configuration to minmum say only system board, check powering on. Keep on adding the components one by one and power ON at each stage. This procedure may help you to isolate the problem to component which is causing the problem

Regards
Mahesh
James B Hainsworth

Brought out HP services and ended up replacing the mother board and a CPU. Works okay now. Still no plans to retire it though.
God help me.
Raj Sohanpal

i have noticed with these old compaq proliant servers the power supply booster module to go first before the power supply goes you can try swoping them around or get a replacement module.
James B Hainsworth

I gave points for those who did respond but all your suggestions were tried before I posted the problem. I was hoping somebody could provide a clue to the motherboard lights, but even the HP rep found they were only a power indicator.
We ended up changing out the mother board and replacing one of the CPU daughter cards. Maybe somday there will be a business initiative to replace the old horse. I think ten years is long enough for any server.