108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Onlline Volume Growth

CA1334818

Onlline Volume Growth

Hi,
I need the application that can enable Storage Volume Growth (Online),
I need it to standard proliant servers
we want to convert 3 x 18GB in raid 5 to 3 x 72GB in Raid 5 without downtime.

Many Thanks

Shahar Matorin
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Shahar:

Assuming your talking about HP Openview Storage Volume Growth, you can not use this for Standard Smart Array Controllers. As a matter of fact, your Smart Array controller has all the necessary tools you need to do what you want to do.

Lets do some exploring first to make sure you can do what you need to do first...

Assuming you have a Windows OS, is your C: drive separate from any other drive? That is, if you run the ACU (Array Configuration Utility), do you see 1 Logical Drive? Or 2 logical drives in Array A? Or maybe even 3?

If you have 1 Logical drive, you will have a harder time completing your task. If all you want to do is supply another logical drive to place more data, then it is easy. What are you looking to do?

Expand your C: drive? Expand your D: drive? Expand both? Just have more space for another drive letter?

The first step in the process is easy. All you need to do is swap out each drive, one at a time... letting them rebuild before you swap the next. Once complete, you will have the same configuration, with gobs of free space (about 200 unused available space, about 144 available for a new RAID 5 logical drive or expansion of other existing drives.

I will post some links for similar threads here in the forums as there has been a lot of discussion about this as of late. Expect this process to be long and arduous; it is not a simple task that can happen in a day.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Here is a good thread to start you off...

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=961654

Also, which model server is this?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
CA1334818

I need to expand the same logical drive,
I want the same logical drive for my SQL data.

Many thanks
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Shahar:

It would probably be easiest to...

... Create a new logical drive out of the newly found space, copy all the SQL data there and set the driver letter to your original SQL Data drive letter. Then you can use the old space for something else, which is not much anyway.

Do you only have 1 logical drive currently? or do you have more than 1? Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Manager view?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE