ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Partitioning Layout

Jay_180

Partitioning Layout

We have a ProLiant ML350 G3 server with three hard disks (70GB each) and we are planning to install Suse linux enterprise server 9 on it and it would just act as a (Oracle) database server.

With RAID 5, the effective disk space avialable is 130GB.
The default partition scheme shows creates a swap partition of size 1GB and a root partition spanning the remaining space i.e. 130GB.
Should I accept the default scheme or should I create more partitions (/opt, /usr, /, /, /home etc)?
What is the optimal/general partitioning scheme that is used?

Please help.

Thanks
Jay
2 REPLIES 2
CA1272506

Re: Partitioning Layout

Jay,

A partitioning scheme is usually designed to offer the best efficiency when accessing data. This means that if you have, say, 3 partitions that are going to be experiencing high load from your applications simultaneously, then you would place these partitions on 3 seperate drives. You would also need to possess fairly advanced knowledge of how your applications make use of the filesystem to conduct a load assessment.

Since you are planning to use RAID 5 over the 3 disks, creating separate partitions isn't going to offer you any performance advantage because each partition will occupy every disk.

You might want to create separate partitions though to ensure control and stability. For example, create a 20GB partition for /home so that user files are not allowed to consume the entire disk leaving little room for the OS to do it's job. As the server will be used predominately to run Oracle you could create a partition solely to keep the database files. That way you can always be confident of the amount of space you have available to commit records to.

If your user and database files are stored in their own partitions it also gives you the flexibility to upgrade your OS later without affecting those partitions. Some admins will even create two 10GB partitions at the start of the disk to manage upgrades. The first will have a functioning system that they can fall back on if need be while the second will contain the upgrade which can be tested during scheduled system maintenance periods.

Basically, you must adapt the partitioning scheme to your own needs. Browse over http://www.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnix1/Partitioning.htm for other tidbits regarding read-only partitions, etc. I hope you can use this information to make your own decisions.

Cheers,

Aaron.
CA893598
Honored Contributor

Re: Partitioning Layout

I'm 100% in agreement with Aaron on the reason for partitioning and the fact that RAID negates much of the advantages of the partitioning, especially when a databse engine such as Oracle is used. The many small writes causes significant problems with disk thrashing.

There is, however, another solution if you can add more physical drives - install drives in mirrored pairs (RAID1) and assign the partitions to those logical drives - in this way you will get the scalability and the redundancy needed.

Of course - if you are willing to give up the redundancy, you can simply run the server with three disks and no RAID