ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Preditive Failure on Proliant DL360 G5

David Baines

Hi

Have had a disk light come on (flashing amber) on one disk of a three disk Raid 5 (Distributed Data Guarding) - going into the management consol it says the disk is in 'Pedictive Failure' with 52 Other timeouts, 2 hard read errors and 15 Recov Read Errors. All other inidicators for this and all other disks on this server are zero. The server is operating OK.

HP have sent me a replacemnt disk (many thanks!)

The controller is a Smart Array P400i and the disk a 136GB Smart SAS Drive - the controller firmware is 5.20.

Is it OK to eject the disk and just swap for new one(with the server switched on) - the server runs MS Exchange & a FileMaker server I was going to get users to close these applications and stop all related services so the server is just idling. I can switch off to do this but I've read that this might confuse the Raid controller.

Many thanks
David
2 REPLIES 2
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

Re: Preditive Failure on Proliant DL360 G5

The short answer is "yes", although doing that while the server load is light is a great idea, as is having a current backup of all critical data.

I've done two online drive replacements on DL380 G5: you simply swap the drives with the server on, watch the new drive come online with a green light within 3-4 seconds, and in another few seconds a rebuild process will start with all the drives in the RAID set flashing. The rebuild process usually lasts a few hours.
Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
David Baines

Re: Preditive Failure on Proliant DL360 G5

Hi Alex

Very many thanks for your post - after testing backups yesterday I gave this a go and it went exactly as you described - I was impressed HP - only took an hour to rebuild.

Thanks again
David