ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ProLiant 5000 setup

Michael Thornsberry

ProLiant 5000 setup

Hello, I just got 3 compaq ProLiant 5000 servers. I am going to install Server 2000 on them. But I can't seem to get it to work. The server I have had in the past has had an setup utility on them I.E. hit F1. But I can't find any thing like that on the server. It was wipped clean before I got it. I have 4 hard drive in it and they all spin up and every thing is fine. But when I go to install server 2k on it About the time it sasy starting windows the computer locks up. Will a program like partition magic help?
Thanks,
Mike T.
4 REPLIES 4
Louis Henninger
Frequent Advisor

Re: ProLiant 5000 setup

You will need the SmartStart CD version 5.5.
You can download this from this site:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html?

This will set up your servers for Windows, and create a support partition on your disk array for diagnostics, etc.

Regards,

Louis
Michael Thornsberry

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have a bad CD rom drive. When I try and boot with the smart start CD it takes forever. Then for some reason I will get an file not found error. Next time I try it I get a blank screen or I get a frozen screen at the smart start screen. There are no errors when booting up. It's an quad p6 200 mhz with 1.5 gigs of ram. So it should run it ok??? I get no errors about cpu or ram.
Thanks,
Mike T.
Chris D Stoneley
Occasional Advisor

Did you get this resolved? My Proliant 5000 won't boot any of my SmartStart CD's right now, and I was told it might be because the SMART 2/P is not in slot 5. (I don't see how this would impact but at this point I'm willing to try anything). I have 4.91, 5.5 & 7.1 SSCD's.. I too am concerned the SCSI CDROM is faulty...
Chris D Stoneley
Occasional Advisor

My issue did turn out to be a duff SCSI CD-ROM. They are readily available on eBay aat a very inexpensive cost if you have the same issue.