ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ProLiant 5500: NIC + FreeBSD 6.1-REL, S/N and registration

Jack Lemar
Advisor

ProLiant 5500: NIC + FreeBSD 6.1-REL, S/N and registration

Hi,

Can anyone help me to make decision which network card should I buy for ProLiant 5500 in order to get it working with FreeBSD 6.1-REL? I got server but the card was "missing".

There is another question (look at attached picture). Can anyone help me to fully discover serial number of my server, please. Maybe it can be read using some software tools? As well I've seen somewher on HP.com that I can register (?) my hardware, can I do it with my server if it was bought second-hand?

Regards,

oiram
"Should I stay, or should I go?"
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant 5500: NIC + FreeBSD 6.1-REL, S/N and registration

Hi,

can't say much about a Network Card as I don't know too much FreeBSD. The server would have come with a Compaq NC3120 NIC as standard (based on some Intel NIC, not sure what one).

The serial number looks like 8949CQY30119
I don't think you can register the server. When I worked at Compaq Tech Support, we never required the server to be registered, unless there was a Carepaq or a maintenance contract. Just a valid serial number for warranty - but your server is almost 6 years old (built in early December 1999), so it's been out of warranty for almost 3 years.

Regards,
Stephen
Jack Lemar
Advisor

Stephen,

Can you tell me where I can find more details about my server since I assume that you know?

-
your server is almost 6 years old (built in early December 1999)
-

Regards,

oiram
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Oiram,

Serial Number format (Compaq 12-digit format)
1st Digit: Place of manufacture, in this case 8=Scotland
2nd Digit: Year of Manufacture 9=1999
3rd/4th Digits: Calendar Week (Week 49 is in December)
Digits 5-8: Config Code CQY3 is a PL5500 with 550MHz CPU with 512KB as standard, 256MB RAM
Digits 9-12: Just a number, probably the 119th server produced that week.

Being former a Compaq Tech Support guy has it's advantages :-)

Warrnty Lookup:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/WarrantyLookup.jsp?lang=en&cc=ie&prodSeriesId=315739&prodTypeId=12169

Here's the main support page for the server:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?〈=en&cc=ie&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254914&submit.y=4&submit.x=8〈=en&cc=ie

You can get Manuals, Drivers and other stuff there. For Hardware Reference, the Maintenance and Service Guide is a good source.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254914#1

Regards,
Stephen
Jack Lemar
Advisor

Stephen,

Thanks for answer with regard to S/N, rest links I know already, but thanks for that all you've done so far.

Regards,

oiram