108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant DL380 G4, 6i Controller, Windows 2003 Server - expand array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerald Busardo

ProLiant DL380 G4, 6i Controller, Windows 2003 Server - expand array

Hi!

We have a DL380 G4 to be used as a fileserver. It came with a Smart Array Controller 6i (version 2.58) and 4 x 300gb 10k HDDs, set in a RAID5 array with 1 hot-swap HDD.

The remaining 600gb of useable space recognized by Windows Server 2003 will be split amongst a 10gb C partition - and the rest will be for a seperate partition used for storage (user home folders/profiles and public network shares).

My question is this:

We will most definitely need to expand the array within 1-2 years to allow for more storage space.

1: How will we do this?

2: How should we configure the system to allow this to be as seamless and safe as possible? Ideally, I would like to avoid having to mount folders into the existing datastorage partition in order to utilize the new space (in other words, I want to EXPAND the RAID5 array and also EXPAND the data partition within Windows).

Thanks in advance.

Please let me know if other information is needed in order to facilitate answering our question.

4 REPLIES 4
Ron Moody
Frequent Advisor

Gerald,

With the current W2k3 technology, the dynamic dics would would do that, but that is a software solution.
I would not be comfortable with that solution.
I would rather add an external array and create another partition when the time comes for a need of more storage.
Just my opinion...
Antonius
Solution

Hi Gerald,

1st step
DL 380 maksimum support 6 HDDs, You could expand with maks 6 HDDs on channel 2 using external storage and expand to your raid 5 existing, Smart array 6i support 2 Channel and each channel support 6 HDD.

2nd step
After expand raid 5 has been completed, then expand the partition from windows 2003 server.

make sure you have backup, before action that.

thx

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I agree with Ron. Dynamic disks should be avoided.

Two suggestions:

1) Instead of using two separate partitions on one logical drive created on the RAID-5, please consider booting the SmartStart CD, running ACU (Array Configuration Utility), and creating two separate logical drives on the RAID-5. Windows will see two separate disk drives, and this will reduce the complication of future expansion.

2) In the future when you want to expand the RAID-5, use ACU to expand the array, and then use Microsoft Diskpart to expand the partition.
MatBeard

Appologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but this is exactly what I'm having trouble with.

I have added a disk to the RAID5 array in our DL380 G5 and expanded the two logical drives using the Array Config Utility.

I now have 70GB of unallocated space at the end of the drive I want to expand, but I'm unable to get Diskpart to do this (Windows 2003 R2).

The problem is that Diskpart doesn't list any volumes, other than the DVD drive, so I can't use the EXTEND command.

If I use the Disk Management MMC, the two drives don't have drive letters showing, but they do in Explorer.

Any help is much appreciated.