ProLiant Servers - Netservers

ProLiant ML150 G5 and Windows Server 2003 RAID Drivers.

Patric Falinder
Advisor

ProLiant ML150 G5 and Windows Server 2003 RAID Drivers.

Hey!

I'm sitting here at work and trying to install Windows 2003 on a ML150 G5 server and it need to install additional drivers so it can find the RAID discs. But, there is now floppy whatsoever and I have tried to burn the drivers to a CD and also tried to put them on a USB-stick but it doesnt recognize any drivers (CD-ROM or USB-stick) so it cant install the driver for the RAID controller..
What do I do?
Is it possible to just burn down the driver-files on a CD? Do I even try to install the right driver (aarahci.1.4.17010) or is there another driver that needs to be installed as well?

Thank you for your help!
1 REPLY 1
Chris Witten

Re: ProLiant ML150 G5 and Windows Server 2003 RAID Drivers.

Try this its a bit long and you might not have everything available but I found this from a post back in 2006 you will have to get the right drivers but I am sure you will be able to work it all out

Courtesy of R@Mo.

Here is a quick guide I put together for you guys. These instructions are to be followed when you do not have access to an external USB floppy drive to use for loading the SATA RAID controller driver during Windows Server 2003 setup on an ML110 G3. Hope it helps.

Before starting, please have the following available:
- A USB drive key that is empty (back up any important data elsewhere).
- A notebook/desktop (or some server/workstation other than the ML110 G3) which has an internal floppy drive as well as a connection to the Internet.
- An empty, formatted 1.44MB floppy disk.
- Please ensure you have already configured the RAID array on your ML110 G3 using the SATA RAID controller's BIOS, which is accessible on POST using Ctrl-A;

Please follow these instructions accurately.

1. Download the appropriate SATA RAID controller driver from the HP website:

HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23534.html

HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/22908.html

2. Insert the empty formatted 1.44MB floppy disk into your notebook/desktop's floppy drive.

3. Copy the extracted contents of the SATA RAID controller driver zip file to the root of the floppy disk. If done correctly, the contents of your floppy disk will be as follows:

HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003:
adpahci.cat
adpahci.inf
adpahci.sys
readme.txt
satadsk1
txtsetup.oem

HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Server 2003:
aaccin.dll
aacmgt.inf
raidisk1
txtsetup.oem
aac.cat
aac.inf
aac.sys

4. Download and install the HP Drive Key Boot Utility on your notebook/desktop, which is located at:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23062.html

5. Insert a USB drive key into a USB port in your notebook/desktop. Windows should have no problem recognising it and assigning it a drive letter under My Computer. It does not matter how the drive key was previously formatted.

6. Go to Start -> Programs -> HP System Tools -> HP Drive Key Boot Utility. The HP Flash Drive Boot Utility should start. Hit Next.

7. Choose the Drive Letter from the dropdown box that corresponds to your drive key and hit Next.

8. Choose the radio button "Create New or Replace Existing Configuration", and hit Next (Do not check "Backup Existing Contents").

9. Choose "Floppy Disk" and hit Next.

10. Choose "Image from drive" and select the drive letter corresponding to your notebook/desktop's floppy drive (likely to be "A:"), and hit Next.

11. Wait until the software is finished flashing the USB drive key. Once completed, remove the USB drive key from the USB port in your notebook/desktop, then click on Finish.

12. Re-insert the USB drive key into a USB port in your notebook/desktop. It will appear as a drive letter in My Computer. Please ensure the SATA RAID controller drivers are now in the root of your USB drive key.

You will also notice that the capacity of the drive key appears in Windows as 1.44MB, just like a floppy disk. Your USB drive key is now ready to be used in your ML110 G3 server.

13. Remove the USB drive key from your notebook/desktop, and insert it into a USB port in your ML110 G3 server, and then turn the server on. Immediately insert the Windows Server 2003 CD into your CD drive.

14. Enter the server's BIOS by hitting F10 during POST.

15. Go to Advanced -> USB Configuration.

16. From the USB Configuration menu, choose the following settings:

USB Functions: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled
Legacy USB Support: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed

You should also have a fifth option available, called "USB Mass Storage Device Configuration". Select it and hit Enter (this option will only be available if the USB drive key was plugged into the server prior to POST).

17. Choose "Floppy" as the Emulation Type.

18. Hit Escape twice to return to the Main Menu, and then go to Boot -> Boot Device Priority. Make sure the 1st boot device is set to CD/DVD.

19. Hit F10 to save changes and exit. The server should now restart.

20. Hit Enter when prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD..." during POST.

21. Hit F6 at the start of Windows Server 2003 setup when prompted at the bottom of the screen. Files will continue to load.

22. Eventually you will be presented with a screen stating that "Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices...". Hit S to specify an additional adapter.

23. Select the correct SATA RAID controller (you might only have one option anyway) and hit Enter twice. Windows setup will accept the driver and continue to the drive partition screen.