1753437 Members
4707 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ProLiant ML350

Scott Xe
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant ML350

I would like to repair Windows 2003 standard server with CD. Can someone advise me how to boot to cd rom drive. In BIOS, it sets to CD drive as 1st boot order but in fact it ignors cd drive.

Thanks,

Scott
7 REPLIES 7
CA1344424
Regular Advisor

Are you sure you disk is bootable, have you tried the smartstart cd?
Scott Xe
Occasional Advisor

Mister L,

Thanks for your reminder. I tried Windows 2003 server CD on other computer and had the same issue. Thus, it is not a bootable disk. As we just upgraded the hardware to ML350 and Windows 2003 from LC3 and NT4, my memory still stays that generation.

I will try the HP SmartStart disk later. Is it the correct procedure to use thia disk to boot up first and change to Windows 2003 CD for doing repair? I am new to both and need to do more practice to upgdate my knowledge. Your guidance is very helpful and appreciated.

Scott
CA1344424
Regular Advisor

im unsure if you can do repair to windows server with smartstart, i use smartstart to do installs of any os which is required, perhaps finding some sort of boot disk to boot from and running setup.exe on your win 2003 disk, that should run set up and enable you to repair windows.
Scott Xe
Occasional Advisor

Mister L,

I just discovered that Windows 2003 standard server CD is bootable and the BIOS is set to 1st boot order of CD-ROM. What else to bypass the program disk?

Scott
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

When attempting to boot from CD, are you being prompted to press any key to boot from CD?

If not, the boot order is correct in the RBSU (ROM Based Setup Utility), and you are positive the CD is bootable, consider replacing the CD-ROM cable, CD-ROM drive, and/or system board.
Scott Xe
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reponses. I now successfully boot to program CD and enter into Repair mode. It asks for administrator password and I type it correctly. However, the system says the password is invalid. Very strange - the password must be correct and ok to login the BDC. Does it mean other adminstrator password I don't know?

Thanks,

Scott
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

It is probably prompting for the Directory Service Restore Mode password.