5068 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem installing windows SBS 2011 Standard on HP Microserver Gen8

DJMC
Regular Advisor

Problem installing windows SBS 2011 Standard on HP Microserver Gen8

Hi,

I am trying to install WIndows SBS 2011 Standard on a HP Microserver Gen8 using intelligent provisioning.

All seems to go well until it gets to 99% complete and then it fails with an error saying that the installation could not complete because a driver count not be installed.

There is no error code and it does not say which drive couldn't be installed.

If I try to install the OS manually (by booting onto install media) I get an error saying SBSBIOS LOCK cannot find media.

This seems to be an issue when the storage ctlr is set to RAID in the BIOS. If I set this to AHCI I can install the OS manually with no issues. However I need to use RAID1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

D

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Problem installing windows SBS 2011 Standard on HP Microserver Gen8

DJMC
Regular Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your reply.

When using the intelligent provisioning I am not given the opportunity to include a driver.

D

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Not sure why IP isn't loading the B120i driver. Use IP to create your RAID array. Download the driver and put it on a USB stick, boot the Windows media and do the installation. Once Windows is up and running install the PSP

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
GroundUp
Occasional Visitor

Exactly the same problem, except mine is on a ML350e G8 Server v2 - Tried updating IP to latest version - still the same error at the very last section of SBS install. "Windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be installed."

Then if you try to boot from media to install directly it reports HPBIOSLOCK issue. From research this is what I found:

Issue 1 is reported here: by HP under heading - HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Server series - "hpssbem.exe" or hpev CQTESS Error Message

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03440070-3%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.tpst=efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5177957&ac.admitted=141...

The solutions suggested are:

"This error is seen on the server during the installation or after the first boot after installation.

The hpssbem.exe error could occur if storage controller drivers/firmware are not loaded on the server during the installation process.

Reset or Flash the BIOS. If the BIOS is corrupted, update BIOS firmware to latest version.

The hpssbem.exe issue can be resolved by updating the BIOS and Storage Controller Firmware.

If issue is still persists on the server, use different Operating System ISO and Flash or update the HP Intelligent Provisioning to the latest version."

Issue 2 (HPBIOSLOCK) can apparently be worked around by installing from USB external CD Drive.

HP advise turning off RAID which is completely unacceptable workaround. But the problem apparently stems from the onboard SATA connection and the internal CD unit, thus external USB based drive will work.