1753481 Members
4355 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with gigabit card

Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

Problem with gigabit card

i'm having grief with a proliant DL580 G1, with a 64-bit netgear GA622T copper gigabit adapter.

it seems to become overloaded aftera full days work and just refuses to send anymore packets, if you disable the card and re-enable it it just says connect failed. so a server restart is needed.

has anyone else had similar problems with gigabit cards? is their a problem using them on G1 servers?. it's a 64bit card in a 64bit slot.

any suggestions welcome, netgear have been notified, i'd have thought if it were a card problem they'd have known about it by now.

thanks!
Rich
3 REPLIES 3
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with gigabit card

Richard:

I am not as knowledgeable with Netgear products but I know a few of the gigabit HP cards show the same problems. They are fixed primarily with a driver update.

Does Netgear have a newer driver for your O/S?

Are you running the latest bios on the DL580:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17421.html
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply!,

i am using the latest driver for the netgear card, first thing i checked, but i must admit it's very unlikely the BIOS is current. so i will update that in the morning.

i do have 2 other identical servers with identical netgear cards which havent (yet) exihibited this problem, so i'll be swapping the card with a new one of the same type which i have spare.

i've had similar problems with other networks going over to gigabit, i'm wondering if it's just a trend with these new affordable cards....
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

hi again,

i can confirm that i've updated the BIOS, and changed the card with an indentical model.

the problem still occurs.

interestingly, it doesnt occur on 2 other identical servers. and it seems to be doing it during a backup (which is around 72 gigs some of which is networked)

i may try a 3com card, just to be sure, but it looks like the server cant cope with the load...possible?