4672 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1500 without OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR718956

Proliant 1500 without OS

I want to install W2K server on a second hand Proliant 1500 server with a smart array controller. After formatting the drive and copy the files, the system won't reboot from harddisk. I get the choice between F9 and F10, but when I press F10 I get an error message.
I've got Smartstart release 3.0, must I get a newer version?
Does smartstart 6.00 support my server?
5 REPLIES 5
Jerad_1
Advisor
Solution

Re: Proliant 1500 without OS

SS6.0 will work fine on it. you need to load the OS using smart start. It will not boot properly doing it the way you did. S.S. creates a fat dos partition for diagnostics on boot up. You have deleted those files but this partition is still active though. This is where the "f10" utilities reside which is also why you cannot get these to come up.

You have 2 choices here. 1: fdisk /mbr then create a new active boot partition with fdisk and load win2k here.

2: Load the OS using smart start setup disk and have it create all of the proper partitions and copy all of the diagnostic utilities to the correct spots. The first part of SS is a complete erase of the system so you'll know everything is new and correct when you set up.

I highly advise using the smart start method..........

Good Luck!
BR718956

Thank you for your answer. I ordered smartstart and I'll have to wait and see.
Jerad_1
Advisor

Not a problem. Also, if you know someone that has another compaq server the smart start will work for yours as well. The CDs are not specific to the machine. This may save you a step in the process.

Good Luck!
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Err, sorry, but I thought SmartStart 6 onwards DOESNT install the F10 partition. It is only supported on the newer servers that have the RBSU (rom based setup utility) therefore no need for the F10 partition.
You may also find that it'll boot to a bash# linux prompt on such an old server...

I would try using any other SmartStart before version 6

HTH
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
BR718956

Hi Mark,

I came to the same conclusion. With smartstart 3.5 o.i.d. the NT4 floppy for the registration number didn't work.
My server will be on e-bay soon.

Patrick