ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Proliant 1600 - Unable to add second processor

Steve Taylor_16

Proliant 1600 - Unable to add second processor

I recently obtained a second PIII CPU for my Proliant 1600 (PIII 500MHz 512MB cache 500/512/100/2.0V SL365) and a new secondary processor power module. As far as I can tell, the original CPU and the second CPU are identical.
When both CPU's are installed, the system fails to boot - it doesn't even get as far as displaying the big red "Compaq" logo.
I have tried both CPU's by themselves in socket 1 and it boots ok - with the exception that my network card failed when using the second CPU. Not sure if this is a related issue but figured it was work mentioning.
There are 2 sets of switches on the processor board - Bus Ratio switch (SW1) and a "Reserved Switch" (SW2). SW1 appears to control the CPU speed (set to 500MHz) but I cannot find any documentation on SW2. Could SW2 be something to do with the CPU configuration?
Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the second processor operational?
3 REPLIES 3
CA1217083

Re: Proliant 1600 - Unable to add second processor

Good Question. I think I will look through some of my old QRG and see what I can see. What I am also looking for is if the if the VRM's from the pII processor will work on the PIII.
Steve Taylor_16

HP Spares (Australia) assured me that the 329267-001 voltage regulator would power the second CPU. I have swapped the new module with the existing one and it appears to boot with the single CPU installed, but still fails if I boot with dual CPU's.
The only manuals I can find for the Proliant 1600 is titled "ProLiant 1600 Servers Supporting Pentium II Processors with 100 MHz GTL Bus". There doesn't appear to be any documentation specifically for the PIII 500/550/600 models.
Steve Taylor_16

Ended up replacing the entire Processor Board & cage. Seems to work ok now.