ProLiant Servers - Netservers

Proliant 1850R; No video or POST

Jonathan Steffan

Proliant 1850R; No video or POST

I am running a Proliant 1850R. No video on first boot. I have swapped out procs with other known good ones. Swapped PPMs with other known good ones. Tried running single proc/PPM. Reseated everything (per another thread.) Swapped power supplies in and out (per another thread.) I tried going into maintenance mode (via switchs) and also tried to use another known working video card (disabled on-board video.) Still nothing. I'm running pretty much bare bones. No HDDs. Compaq CD-ROM and floppy only (as far as drives.) I don't have any scsi drives to test with it. I was planning on using an IDE-RAID card. Tried booting with that and with(out) HDDs installed. No go. Also tried with a standard IDE controller card with(out) drives attached. Still no go. I tried switching the battery between internal and external. Didn't seem to change anything. Both proc LEDs are green (all LEDs are green.) CD-ROM spins up. I am trying to boot to the SmartStart 5.50 CD. I have also tried other boot CDs. Monitor is known working and in good order. I have removed the RAM, with two procs/PPMs installed, and no diag. beeps (per another thread.) Also tried with only one proc installed. Any ideas? Any other tests? Is my system/mother board most likely dead (per the RAM thread?) Thanks in advance for any ideas or conclusions. I am going to go back to my Proliant 3000 failing second proc when both procs/PPMs are known good. Glad my Proliant 6000s are working well.
2 REPLIES 2
CA1287848

Re: Proliant 1850R; No video or POST

I'm having the EXACT same issues with my 1850R. I have tried just about everything with no post and no beep codes. The only thing I am not sure about is the RAM.. I didn't have original RAM for this machine, so I ordered some to match the specs shown on the inside cover. Has anyone come up with any ideas on this? Did you get this resolved Jon?
Robert Wethington

Re: Proliant 1850R; No video or POST

We had the same problem and it turned out to be the memory. We had to have 128mb in the first slot and then 256mb in the rest and it worked.