ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752756 Members
4971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 No boot, no power... Fixed, but not for long...

CA925423

Proliant 3000 No boot, no power... Fixed, but not for long...

I originally sat down last night to post a message of thanks on this board, but I'm afraid I'm back to also asking for support. ---------------------------------------------------------------The unit is a Proliant 3000 Server, dual Pentium II processors, full memory card, SCSI controller card, 8 SCSI drives, dual hot swappable power supplies. (I've never actually seen it running, so I don't know what type of RAID array or the actual memory installed etc.) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Unit wouldn't boot, only received the standard firmware message on the LED. We originally thought our issue was a mainboard and ordered a replacement unit and installed it. (No change). ----------------------------------------------After reviewing all the other posts (with great responses) I thought I'd solved my problem: must be a power supply issue. As suggested in the other posts, I stripped the unit to the memory card, one processor, no drives connected, IDE and Floppy not connected. I bypassed the interlock switches and the power switch with jumper wires. (Receiving 12V power to the power switch on the front). Removed NIC as well. -------------------------------------------------------LED STATUS: no front power light. Power supply LEDs on both power supplies units: AC power LED on green solid, DC power light flashes amber once, then 10 times green, then repeats cycle. I'm assuming that the flashing amber indicates a failure in the self-test. ----------------------------------------------We ordered a replacement power supply (refurb unit). I removed both original power supplies and installed the replacement. Voila! Lights! Power! Action! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Happy (and overconfident) I put the original mainboard back in and reconnected everything. Plugged the supply back in and ------NOTHING!----- (same 1 amber flash, 10 green flash from the top LED on the power supply) Panicked, I put the new mainboard back into the unit and left it stripped to the original test configuration from when it worked. ----STILL NOTHING!----- --------------------------------------------------So, I'm looking for opinions... is it likely that the refurb power supply was weak in the first place and actually blew out? Is it possible that a short in the backplane or a board somewhere was enough to send it to an early grave, or is there something else going on that I haven't stumbled on yet? --------------------------------------------Also, does anyone know where I can locate the pinouts on the supplies to test them? I've searched high and low and havne't come across them. ------------------------------------------------------Any help or opinions are most welcome! Thanks everyone, and thanks for such a wonderful resource! - Take care, Cat
2 REPLIES 2
Henri Schaer

Hi Cat,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution ?

Thank you for the answer.

HS
Javier Gomez_1

Hi, I had the same problems with a couple of Proliant 3000, the problem was solved just by inserting the covers, the server is designed not to boot uncovered.

It may ocasionaly happen to have problems with one of the cover detectors.

Cheers.