1753769 Members
5089 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 850R Question

Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

Proliant 850R Question

I am still running an old Proliant 850R machine with dual Pentium Pro CPUs and 512M of RAM. I use it mainly as a test machine for database work because if I can get something to run fast on the Proliant I know it will scale elsewhere.

Currently the box runs Windows 2000 Pro but I would like to put CentOS on it. I have set the bios's boot order to CD, C then A but it simply refuses to boot from the CD. I know that the CentOS boot CD is OK as it boots on other Compaq machines I own.

So, can anyone help me discover why it is not booting?

Can anyone point me to the latest BIOS and firmware download areas for this machine?

Finally, I am running 3 x 4G UltraWide SCSI 2 harddrives and have 2 x 2G ones that I would like to attach but don't know how. Can anyone help me with this?

regards
S

3 REPLIES 3
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor

Hi, first try cleaning head of CD ROM drive, if problem persist, you need to change CDROM driver (any IDE CDROM, configure it as CS or like original) and this is the link:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/7_1130.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
good luck
Carlos_61
Valued Contributor
Simon Greener
Occasional Advisor

Carlos,

Thanks for the tips on the CD. The CD was not set to Cable Select. Done. Works. Thanks.

Simon