ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753937 Members
9895 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL140 Gen2 meaning of 8 LED's on mobo ??

richard verhoeven

Proliant DL140 Gen2 meaning of 8 LED's on mobo ??

Ghost in the shell ????

intro:

2 months ago i noticed that my exchange server wasn't responding but it was still vissable on the network. so i whent to visualy check the system, when i turned on the disp that was connected to the server it showed windows was still running but the system didnt respond to the keyb. or mouse and i was forced to do a hard shutdown. when i rebooted the server it booted 2003 R2 almost to the login scrn and it froze again. the seccond time it showed the splash screen for 2003 and again froze. the third time wasn't a charm and it wouldn't boot at all it just powered and didnt showed anything at all. no warnings of any kind. i contacted HP support and they told me sorry.... yes sorry and that was it.

now 2 months later it still isnt booting. the tricky part is that when i reverse the Cmos batt. for 2 min and then return it in org. state the systems sometimes boots to the HP screen and my numlock goes on and then thats it. but most of the time it just leaves a blank screen. I dont have any documentation for the server and ironicly its also nowere to be found on the web. the hp site states to look at the LED's inside the server but doesnt explaine the meaning of the different comb's of LED's burning.

PLEASE..... H E L P... S O S...
1 REPLY 1
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant DL140 Gen2 meaning of 8 LED's on mobo ??

Richard,

First Visit the below link, take time and watch all the video's, then follow the steps

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR.htm?prodSeriesId=455149&MEID=4C339FDB-7B09-4BF1-B34F-042B7BDF11D2

Step 1:
--------
a) Power OFF the server & remove power cable
b) Remove SCSI Card from PCI Slot
c) Remove the power cables and data cables for your Hard drives and CD Drive.
d) Remove all the Memories
e) Press and hold the power button for 30 Sec Approx.
f) Re-seat only 1 Modules of DIMMS.
g) Restore the servers main power cable and power ON the server.

See some character in display, then follow to step 2

Nothing happens, then follow step 5

Step 2:
----------
b) Re-Seat all the Memories
c) Restore the servers main power cable and power ON the server.

See some character in display, then follow to step 3

Nothing happens, then follow step 5

Step 3:
--------
b) Fix back the SCSI Adapter in PCI Slot
c) restore the power and data cable of CD Drive
d) Restore the servers main power cable and power ON the server.

See an array controller listed and taking a while to initialize the disk, then follow to step 4

Nothing happens or RAID Controller not Listed, then your RAID Controller is defective.

Step 4:
---------
b) Restore the power and data cable of HDD Drive
d) Restore the servers main power cable and power ON the server.

The Server boots up and you see either a windows Screen of some sort or a ntldr or OS missing screen

Then your OS is corrupted nothing to do with Hardware

Nothing happens or Disk not found message displayed then you controller / HDD is defective swap the HDD on other server and check.

Step 5
---------
b) Swap the Installed DIMM with other not used.
c) Restore the servers main power cable and power ON the server.

d) Repeat the same steps to Isolate All the Bad DIMMS

e) Which ever DIMM doesn't give display is defective.

NO change with all the DIMMS

Then you need an additional processor to swap & check. But most probably your system board is dead.

---------------------------

If it starts working and suddenly Hangs or Continues to work, then your SCSI Card has problem any time it may fail .

You can get the spare part numbers from below link

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=modsrch&template=main&cpric=&prodsrch=DL+140+G2&submit.x=7&submit.y=5