5079 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL380 G4 & PXE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Sabberton

Proliant DL380 G4 & PXE

I'm trying to deploy Windows 2003 OS using Microsoft Automated Deployment Services which currently deploys flawlessly to DL380 G3s using PXE.

The G4, however, is another story because as soon as it starts to boot to the MS ADS deployment agent the G4 automatically reboots.

The eventlog on the ADS server indicates that the G4 lost connectivity before it could give it an IP address.

The G4 has the latest BIOS ROMpaq and the hard disks are 2x36s ultra320s mirrored using smart array 6i. Processors are dual Xeons. 4GB RAM.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, as I'm scratching my head vigorously getting nowhere!

Cheers

Jon
35 REPLIES 35
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon:

The DL380G3 - has two emeded nic cards NC7781

The DL380G4: Embedded HP NC7782 Dual Port PCI-X 10/100/1000 Gigabit Server Adapter

- Don't know if this will matter to what you are doing.

-Dose the DHCP server detect these nic cards and or is there an ip address proviced for that mac address.

Try using this driver

HP ProLiant NC10xx/31xx/61xx/67xx/71xx/77xx/150x/310x Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet NIC Drivers for DOS NDIS2
version 7.70 A (17 Aug 04)
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21493.html

NCx7xx Firmware and PXE Update Utility
version 1.2 A (2 Jul 03)http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18479.html

Tarek.

Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jon Sabberton

Hi Tarek

Thanks for your post, After further investigation into my issue I got the packet analyser out to see what was happenning and it turns out that the issue is Microsoft ADS services, I had to make a driver update to the ADS server to pick up the 7782 NICs which ADS wasnt picking up. The ADS server then responded correctly for a while - I got two hotfixes from MS to fix the issue - I havent as yet applied them to finally verify that that is indeed the issue. Unfortunately due to project commitments I wont be able to look at this further until mid next week.

Many thanks for your comments.

Regards

Jon
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Thanks Jon for posting back; I will keep that in mind this is good information you provided.

Tarek.
Jon Sabberton

Just an update for anybody interested in this thread.

I applied all the ADS hotfixes, applied all driver changes (including the new one released 6/10/04).

I raised a support call with Microsoft, sent them all the ADS logs and packet analysis traffic. They confirmed that this is a worldwide issue and that they are working with HP to resolve the issue. I got a response this morning from Microsoft saying that HP had replicated the issue I'm having and will be releasing a BIOS update to fix the problem. Timescales on the release is not known at the moment.

Cheers

Jon
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Great news and I hope that your problem will be resolved with new firmware update for the G4 servers.

4.01 P51-08/26/2004
the firmware will be coming out on 18 Sep 04.

HP ProLiant NC 10xx/67xx/77xx/150x/320x Gigabit Ethernet NIC Driver for Windows Server 2003 ├В┬╗ 7.80.0.0
Release Date: 6 Oct 04

Best Regards,

Tarek
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for HP ProLiant DL380 G4 (P51) Servers
version 4.01 P51-08/26/2004 (18 Sep 04)
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21813.html

This firmware is available for download now.
Jon Sabberton

Hi Tarek

Already this is a new BIOS update which HP are currently working on apparently. I already the version of the BIOS running on the G4 that you pointed the URL to.

Many thanks

Cheers

Jon
Brian Covert
Solution

I am experiencing the same ADS/DL380 G4 PXE Automated Deployment agent reboot issue as described above. I am at all of the latest ADS patches and the at the most recent released G4 BIOS level that is listed in the above link.

Please provide a status update on where the new BIOS is in the release process.

Thanks,
Brian
Joseph Michaud_1
Occasional Advisor

Just got off the phone with HP.

Go into setup (F9) and change the IRQ for the SmartArray 6i from 5 to 7.

As much as I'd love to take credit for the solution, the Kudos go to Brian Covert from Bank One and the HP engineer (Michael) who were able to cross reference a RIS issue with ADS.

Joseph Michaud