7120 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 G4 with Windows 2003 Server

Decraene Johan
Occasional Contributor

Proliant DL380 G4 with Windows 2003 Server

Hello,

I've installed Windows 2003 server on a DL380 G4 with one processor. Now I'd like to add a second processor.

I've tried and the problem is that the server restarts automatically at the first Windows screen.

How can I let the second processor be recognized by my Windows 2003 server please?

Thanks for your help
6 REPLIES 6
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant DL380 G4 with Windows 2003 Server

Was HyperThreading enabled in the BIOS when you originally installed Windows Server 2003?

If you view Device Manager -> Computer, does it read 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'?
Decraene Johan
Occasional Contributor

Yes, HyperThreading was enabled in the BIOS when I installed Windows Server 2003 with only on CPU.

I'll check in Device Manager -> Computer, but I don't think it's 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'. How can I change it please?
And I suppose I must do it before adding the CPU?

Thanks for your help
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

First of all make diskettes of the following:
1) An 'F6' diskette containing the boot controller's (Smart Array 6i ? ) driver making sure to include txtsetup.oem.
2) A diskette containing the NC7782 (integrated NIC) driver. This is simply for convenience since the Windows Server 2003 installation media doesn't contain a functional driver for the NC7782.

Have a recent copy of the PSP (ProLiant Support Pack) available on a CD or network share to use as a final step.

Shut down Windows. Power off. Remove the AC power cable(s).

Install the second processor.

Reconnect the AC power cable(s), and power on the DL380 G4.

Press the F9 key to enter the RBSU (ROM-Based Setup Utility). From the Advanced Options menu select Erase Non-Volatile Memory to clear the BIOS configuration. Restart the DL380 G4.

Attempt to boot into Windows Server 2003. From what you've described, it will probably fail again. No problem.

Insert the bootable Windows Server 2003 installation CD. Press any key to boot from the CD. After just a few seconds you will see a message to press F6 to add a SCSI driver. Press F6 quickly when prompted.

Insert the boot controller driver F6 floppy you made earlier. Follow the onscreen menus to install the driver from floppy. It will probably ask you whether you would like to use the driver from the Windows CD or from the floppy. Use the driver from floppy.

A little later in the installation/repair process, you will be given a chance to repair the installation. Actually, you will be given TWO chances to repair the installation if you skip the first one. You will want to use the second option to repair. The first repair option is very fast, but usually doesn't repair enough to be useful. The second option will be after Windows finds an existing installation. At this point you will want to repair the existing installation--not perform a parallel install. Obviously, don't repartition or format anything.

Windows should use the boot controller from floppy and change the HAL and/or kernel from whatever it is you are using now.

For a DL380 G4 and using multiple processors, it will automatically detect that you should be using ACPI Multiprocessor PC and repair the HAL and/or kernel.

Keep in mind that you are basically going through the motions of reinstalling Windows, but all of your data and all of your applications will remain intact. The worst case scenario is you may need to reinstall the NC7782 driver from floppy.

The BOOT.INI will revert to a 30 second delay if you had previously reduced the menu timeout and had multiple boot entries...(Recovery Console ? ).

Once Windows Server 2003 has been repaired, and you have confirmed that the Computer Type shows ACPI Multiprocessor PC, and you see multiple CPU graphs in Task Manager, you're almost finished.

Reinstall the PSP, and enjoy your newly dual'ed DL380 G4!

Don't forget to reapply any service packs and hotfixes, as they WILL be missing.

Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I should clarify that you should see four CPU graphs in Task Manager if you have two HyperThreading-enabled CPU's installed for Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition.
Decraene Johan
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've just checked in Device Manager -> Computer, and it's already 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'.

Normally it had to work, doesn't it?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

In that case try using the Clear Non-Volatile Memory technique previously described.