3972 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G4p SATA Raid 5 - Add a Drive to the Array

jamesthibault
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 G4p SATA Raid 5 - Add a Drive to the Array

Hi,

I have a Proliant SATA Raid 5 configured with two partitions, with Windows Server 2003 installed on one of the partitions of the Raid. Shared data is kept on the other partition. The partitions are NOT configured as Dynamic Disks.

I want to add a drive to the array to make the logical drive(s) larger, and am wondering if there is any way that I can do this without losing data or re-installing the O/S.

I downloaded and installed the newest version of the HP storage manager, but I am still unclear if I can do this without losing data and starting over.

Thanks in advance very much,

James
3 REPLIES 3
Marco Calleri

Re: Proliant ML350 G4p SATA Raid 5 - Add a Drive to the Array

I have exactly the same need, and a little bit confused because found different instructions about this (doing from within windows or using a third party utility from command line...) on Microsoft website.
jamesthibault
Occasional Contributor

Yes....if I'm understanding correctly, you can add a drive that will then show up in Windows Computer Managment Console as Free Space. Then use 3rd party or the diskpart utility from Microsoft to add it to the logical drive.....IF I understand correctly!!!

I have also read that this is not a very good solution, as it is sort of defeating the true raid5 array...and that it is best to recreate the array and put back the O/S and data.

Can anyone confirm this as fact?

James
Mark Brand
Advisor

I think(?)you add the drive, then use the HP Raid configuration utility to extend the size. Then use the Microsoft command line utility diskpart to extend the logical drive with the new unallocated space. Hopefully someone can confirm this before you leap into it.