ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752805 Members
5527 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G5 loses video and network connection

Benny Sayasithsena

Proliant ML350 G5 loses video and network connection

Every other day and sometimes everyday we have had to reboot our server due to it losing video and network connectivity. I have checked all events, there is nothing besides a dns replicating error which states that I should ignore. I have run the online diagnostics. There is a warning on Wdf01000, does anyone know what this is? Also in the hardware diagnostics I run the video card diag. and towards the end of the test the bottom of the test window it states Warning but the results come up normal. Any help would be great. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
DanaPrewit
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant ML350 G5 loses video and network connection

What OS?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I think it would be Windows since he mentioned Wdf01000.
Benny Sayasithsena

Running Windows Server 2003
Benny Sayasithsena

What is Wdf01000?
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

I haven't found much information about Wdf01000, but I've wondered, too. It is listed as WDF Coinstaller.

Anywho, I've seen servers with yellow bangs on Wdf01000, and it doesn't appear to cause any issues. I think you can dismiss this as the cause.
Robert
Advisor

The clue here is video and network simultaneously. I'm assuming that you're not talking about an outboard monitor and router system connected to a separate power strip going bad.
The following is based on generic troubleshooting, having not actually seen the system.

If the server utilizes motherboard provided Video and Nic, I would suspect the power supply or regulators on the motherboard are going thermal degrading the power rails that feed those devices. Power supplies not cooling correctly for themselves can also present problems.

If the server utilizes a separate Video card, it's possible that the video card is going thermal, degrading the power rails that feed those devices.

I suggest you check the machine for thermal issues and poor ventilation.
1) collective dust with the motherboard and internal of the power supply.
2) intake dust clogs air intake especially behind front bezels
3) dry or no thermal grease issues with the processors and North Bridge if it utilizes a fan
4) Fan for Video Card if a separate card or it's onboard chip utilizes a fan
5) Case Fan auto regulation

Another possible slightly oddball: If separate cards are used either Nic and/or Video card, check to see that these cards are seated properly in their slots. Either slightly out of it's slot can cause this problem.

If all of these things are checked and problem persists:
1) Connections for the power supply to the mother board
2) Power Supply
3) Motherboard issues

If in doubt about properly checking all this, have a good component level tech go through the machine.
Hope this helps.