ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753447 Members
4896 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML530 RAID5 question

Jeff Fazio_1

Proliant ML530 RAID5 question

We have a Compaqq Proliant ML530 server that currently has 3 drives with a RAID 5 configuration. We are starting to get low on space and I would like to add another hard drive. I know that the hard drive should be around the same size as the other hard drives. I have the Array config utility software but can not figure out how to add the drive to increase the space available.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Fazio_1

Oh, and I have a Smart Array 431 controller
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Jeff
Make sure your SCSI Driver is up to date, firmware for 4th controller up to date and Array Configuration Utility
If W2K min SP3

Add Drive to server on the fly
Refresh ACU
Highlight ARRAY X Click Expand
Add Drive to Array X
Don't create logical drive from it
Highlight Existing Logical drive Y and click Extend
Add Unused Space to Existing Logical Drive and save configuration.

Good to go

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

Jeff Fazio_1

Thanks. I was able to do all that but the siz of the drive never increased so I am not sure if I did something wrong.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That's just to get the array/logical drive extended. You won't see any change in the size of your partitions yet. That has to be done in the OS. For example if you have Windows 2000/2003 you go into disk management, and you should see extra free space available at the end of your disk. Here you can either create a new partition or extend an existing one by one of 2 ways (Note: In Windows you cannot expand your boot (C:) partition)
- Convert it to dynamic disk, extend your volume that way
- If you don't want dynamic disks you can use diskpart to extend a basic disk partition. Diskpart is a command line utility that comes with Windows 2003, and as a separate download from Microsoft for Windows 2000.

Regards,
Stephen
Jeff Fazio_1

Ok.. That's what I didn't do.. Thanks for the info..