ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753789 Members
7826 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant MicroServer Gen8 installing new optical drive (caddy) not detecting?

JimiT
Respected Contributor

Proliant MicroServer Gen8 installing new optical drive (caddy) not detecting?

Hi All,

Not sure if ths is the correct forum for Proliant MicroServers, here goes anyway..

Installed DVD Drive caddy to empty bay (server did not come with optical drive) in the server, when booting up the drive is not detected.  Is there something I need to configure in the BIOS to enable the onboard SATA?

The server has HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller, the drives in the drive bays are all fine...

I have the Caddy connected to the board as pictured below....

original.jpg

HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Don't forget to Kudo!!
6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant MicroServer Gen8 installing new optical drive (caddy) not detecting?

When you order the optional optical drive for the Microserver  it has a split cable that attaches to the sata port where you're picture shows you're connected and the power is connected to the small plug on the top of the server.  I don't see any reason why your configuration shouldn't work.

As the system goes through POST the optical drive should ID on a SATA controller as Port 5

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JimiT
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant MicroServer Gen8 installing new optical drive (caddy) not detecting?

Hi Jimmy,

I replaced the Y-Cable I bought from ebay and removed the DVD Caddy.

I now connected the drive directly to the SATA port and using molex to 15 pin power to the drive. POST still doesn't detect the drive.

I suspect I may need to use the power from the power source specifically for the DVD drive, by doing so it may enable the SATA port on the motherboard...

1.JPG

2.JPG

devmgr.JPG2.JPG

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info. ]

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Don't forget to Kudo!!
JimiT
Respected Contributor

So now waiting for this to be delivered to try by using the power from the power for the DVD

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161213010038

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I just tried plugging a laptop hard disk multibay caddy into the connector that plugs onto the optical drive. This disk spins up, but the controller doesn't ID the drive during POST.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JimiT
Respected Contributor

cool - so there must be a way to enable the on-board SATA OOD port - any ideas?

JimiT
Respected Contributor

Jimmy, there is a blog here (http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/09/30/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-real-world-usage/) says he connects the 5 SATA to SSD drive in one of the comments.  Then a user comment also mentions the same.

So this port should smply come up if something is plugged into it.

I'm wondering if they both have the BIOS Set to AHCI mode, my BIOS is set to the B120i.  If I changed it to AHCI mde will I lose my existing drive config?  I'm not wanting to go through re-installing unless I really have to...