1752720 Members
5622 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant N54L System Board Removal - SATA Cable connector appears stuck

Wpotter1950
Occasional Visitor

Proliant N54L System Board Removal - SATA Cable connector appears stuck

After about 2 years of using this N54L Microserver, I decided it would be a good idea to add a PCI-E USB 3.0 card. I started taking the system apart following the servicing guide up to the point where it says slide the system tray out a bit and remove the cables. I have been unable to get the SATA cable to unplug from its socket on the system board.

And when I found I was using more force than I was happy to use, without it seeming to move at all, I thought I had better stop and ask if anyone has a suggestion, tip or trick for its removal.

This is the thick cable on the left side of the system board which goes into a metal socket. There is a retaining clip on the socket which I have loosened.

I know I was able to remove it two years ago when I was initially setting the server up. But know it is as if the SATA connector has been superglued to the socket.

Help!!!

Thanks,

WPotter1950

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It has been some time since I've opened up the older Microserver. From what I recall, the cable drive cable that plugs into the system board has a metal clip that you have to depress before the cable will slide out of the connector.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SvMel687
HPE Pro

Hi,

you can use video for removal/replacement procedures

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

Find Microserver, select Remove/replace videos link on bottom page and then video for  system board tray, I think that shortly is see howto remove SATA connector.

regards

Im HP employee
Wpotter1950
Occasional Visitor

Thank you. That was really useful advice and a much clearer video than any of those on YouTube.

Nevertheless, I cannot get the connector to budge. It looks like I will have to either live with the system as is or risk trashing it with the use of more force than I am comfortable using.

wp