108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ml310 g2 Unrecognized Processor. U R G E N T

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ml310 g2 Unrecognized Processor. U R G E N T

Hi. Yesterday i've purchased a proliant 310 g2 server and begun installation using the guided disk provided with the machine.i've installed the drivers and the windows server 2003 Standard edition not of hp but purchased standalone.

i've activated my windows, i've installed my programs and noticed that the server was very slow and there are almost no programs installed but office 2003 and sound forge. the widows animate very difficultly and when i play a file on my windows media played the sound is interrupted when i try to minimize the window.

I noticed in the performance window i launched that the processor eats very much of the power and that's why it is slow. i opened up the processes running but there is nothing much running so that it can eat up process power. Then i went to the system > devices > processors > where i noticed that it has registered two entries (processors) Intel Pentium 4 and not Xeon which my computer is running.

Is that an hp fault, the OS fault, the bios fault or my fault?

What can i do to fix that?

Note that i've already downloaded and installed the following file from hp's site, which of what i understood is an update for the drivers of my system: psp-7.30.w2k3.i386

Also note that: i'm a beginner to intermediate user as servers are concerned.
10 REPLIES 10
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

George:

Not sure if I can help you with your "slowness" problem. Windows 2003 Server comes with a performance monitor. Perhaps you can run it and take a look at a few things. You should be able to find it at...

Start --> Programs --> Administrative Tools --> Performance

Can you attach screen shots of the Task Manager's Performance and Processes tab's?

As for dual entries in Device manager, i wold have to say it is Intel's fault.

Newer Pentium 4 Processors have what is called Hyper Threading which allows the processor to utilize different parts of the core simulaneously... making the processor look, in regards to Windows, like it is a "dual processor" system so WIndows will "see" 2 processors.

Have you tried Windows Server 2003 SP1 yet?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

hi steven, thank you for the quick reply. I don't think i have installed the sp1 as i've purchased the server yesterday and i've set it up and installed everything today. i have the auto updates running and they are installing things all the time. when they finish i will install the sp1 if not already installed by the auto update.

As for the slowness, i think that is because the OS sees that i am running pentium 4 and i have intel xeon installed on the computer.

anyway. find attached a screenshot of the performance monitor
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

also note that i've found the problem on the site of intel but it does not show any real info on what i should do...

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/xeon/sb/CS-007769.htm
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

One of the suggestions is to make sure your at the latest System ROM...

You should be able to pull up that info while in the OS by going to Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Information.

Also, by rebooting the server and watching it POST. The first text you see should be the ROM model and a date. The most current version id 6-2-2005.

Click here for more support files... http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6077.html

It looks like there are some files that are newer than the PSP you installed so it might help to get/install those as well.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

i've installed that one. the date of the update of the bios e.t.c. is 2/6/05.

btw the OS shows me that the processor is P4 and the case of the pc has stamped on it XEON. What is my processor? That's what i can't understand. Do i have a P4 processor and must seek for the cause of the problem i have elsewhere or do i have xeon processor on my computer and my OS sees it as P4 and that is the problem why it is slow?
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

installed sp1 but is again slow
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The ML310G2 should have a Pentioum 4 processor in it. XEON is usually a designation for a higher end Pentium 4 Processor. XEON's usually have more cache, multi-processor capability, etc.

Server class machines usually use Pentium XEON's which are P4's.

Either way, I do not think the OS displays "XEON" as the designator. I never seen that and I manage over 250 servers currently.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
George Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

when windows starts up i get the following error .... attached as image and the event log shows me:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 20/08/2005
Time: 21:19:55
User: N/A
Computer: STATIONSPRO
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

oh and btw... what is the user name and the password so i can login in the HP System Management Homepage?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Usually, the default username and password is...

Administrator and "administrator". When you install the PSP, you have the option of setting the password before you install the driver updates.

Also, during Smart Start.

As for the "i8042prt" error, I am not too sure, but the i8042prt usually refers to the keyboard/ps2 mouse driver/device.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE