to improve the overall I/O performance
of the MSA 20? If yes, how can I do it?

Many thanks for any advice,
martin
10 REPLIES 10
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions regarding HP Smart Array 6402 Controller

I've got cards the same with the accelerator, and i've never had to configure them, but that's what it sounds like. Check in the bios settings of the array card (option on boot) and also in the smartstart and the ACU. Seems like the accelerator hasn't been setup/configured/enabled.

If it's configured it will improve the performance. Word of caution though, the batteries on the accelerator are VERY un-reliable - we lost one every 2-3 months (easy to replace but have to turn the server off).
Martin Galis
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

thank you for the response.

I tried to use ACU to configure the SA-6402 controller. I used the 'web' version of ACU (not the command line one).
There I can see 'More Information' under Common Tasks and 'Status Messages' under Controller State.

'More Information' opens new window. In the section Array Accelerator I can find that the accelerator is present and Cache Status is 'Not Configured'.

'Status Messages' will explain that there are no hdds detected.

So I do not see a way how to enable/configure the accelerator. Do I have to use the command line version of ACU to do this?
If yes, could you explain ho to use it?

martin
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Are there any arrays / logical drives configured on the SA-6402? If not, this is why you're receiving the message that the SA-6402 is unconfigured. After you create an array, the message should cease.

With regards to the cache, yes, it will improve performance if charged and enabled.

And I second the statement that the batteries are unreliable. Later SA-6402 firmware seems to improve the issue, but not completely resolve it.
Martin Galis
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kedd,

the SA-6402 is used as the host controller for MSA20. There are no logical drives, no arrays configured directly at the SA-6402.

Can I configure logical drive or array using the MSA20? Or, in other words, how can I suppress those warning emails?

Could you give me more detailed explanation how to use the cache on SA-6402 to improve performance of MSA20 connected to SA-6402?
I tried to enable the cache but I was unable to do it.

martin
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

The simplest thing I can suggest is to configure an array on the MSA20 if you need additional storage, or remove the SA-6402 from the DL585 if you do not.

How would you like to proceed?
Martin Galis
Occasional Advisor

There are arrays configured at the MSA20 already.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

OK, I misunderstood.

In that case to enable the cache, launch the HP SMH (System Management Homepage), click the HP ACU (Array Configuration Utility) link, right-click on the SA-6402, right-click on the SA-6402, and select Logical Drive Array Accelerator Settings. Make sure that your logical drives have a check by them, and click the OK button.

Right-click on the SA-6402, and select Controller Settings. You can adjust the Cache Ratio to suit your application and usage. Click OK.
Martin Galis
Occasional Advisor

This is what I already tried.
The problem is that I do not see a 'Logical Drive Array Accelerator Settings' link for SA-6402. I see it only for MSA20.
Probably the problem is that the cache
can be used only for Logical Drives,
and I have no logical drives configured for the SA-6402.
Then the question is, is there some way how to configure logical drive on SA-6402 using MSA20?

Here is a 'list' of available links for SA-6402:
Common Tasks - More Information (only shows status of controller)
Constroller State - Refresh
- Status Messages (this one is displaying message #267:
' There are no physical drives attached to the current array controller.

If this controller is being used as a host controller for an external controller, the physical drives attached to the external controller will only be visible by selecting the external controller.

If the controller is not being used as a host controller...'
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

After reading the QuickSpecs for the MSA20, I see that it functions very differently from the SW4354 and MSA30 that I am familiar.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11942_div/11942_div.html

/quote
NOTE: The MSA20 had an onboard controller module. When the MSA20 is directly attached to a ProLiant server with a Smart Array controller, the MSA20 controller module functions as the array controller and the Smart Array Controller acts as the Host Adapter.
/unquote