1752553 Members
4660 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID Mangement of HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

weiqi88
Occasional Contributor

RAID Mangement of HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

1. Dose HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 have Smart Array S100i Software RAID?

2. What's the difference of function&performance between Marvell BIOS Utility and Marvell Storage Utility (MSU) for the embedded Marvell PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s storage controller?

3. If I want to creat raid 10 in Windows Server 2016, which method should I select priority? WHY?

• S100i Software RAID?
  •  Marvell Storage Utility with Windows?
  •  Marvell BIOS Utility?
  •  Software RAID in Windows Server?

4. If I want to creat raid 10 in ClearOS or other Linux with the embedded Marvell PCIe to SATA
6Gb/s storage controller, which method should select priority? WHY?

The ClearOS Documentation page(clearos LINKS) says:

If you have a hardware RAID controller and still would like to use software RAID, configure your RAID card for JBOD or set up individual disks as stand-alone RAID 0 devices (JBOD is better). Not only will you get better support, but potentially more performance and ability to transition to another controller without worrying about firmware matching.

Our recommendation is to use Software RAID instead of BIOS RAID since the success rate is much higher for implementation and recovery for software RAID from a ClearOS support model.

You can implement software RAID in ClearOS by selecting the I will configure partitioning option in the installation wizard.

So I'm very confused about what to choose about creating RAID 10 in ClearOS with the embedded Marvell SATA storage controller.

Which method should I select?

• Marvell Storage Utility for Linux?  
  • Marvell BIOS Utility?  
  • Software RAID in ClearOS?

5 REPLIES 5
philsson
Occasional Visitor

I am writing here to join you in the quest. I am running my microserver gen10 with the built in RAID controller with ESXi as my host OS. So far I have not been able to get any status on the RAID what so ever. I tried removing a disk physically from the RAID but nothing other than at boot shows there is an error with the RAID. Im afraid Ill run with faulty disks without knowing and am in search for some way to see the RAID health from ESXi (linux). I cannot see other things as temperatus etc either. Aparently this server lacks CIM, but there has to be another way.

weiqi88
Occasional Contributor

wrote:

I am writing here to join you in the quest. I am running my microserver gen10 with the built in RAID controller with ESXi as my host OS. So far I have not been able to get any status on the RAID what so ever. I tried removing a disk physically from the RAID but nothing other than at boot shows there is an error with the RAID. Im afraid Ill run with faulty disks without knowing and am in search for some way to see the RAID health from ESXi (linux). I cannot see other things as temperatus etc either. Aparently this server lacks CIM, but there has to be another way.

Did you have try to submit a case to HPE Support Center?

THC1
Occasional Visitor

I used the Marvell Bios efi file and configured the raid there. Its a little laggy during setup but after the initial set up of the RAID it works fine. I am not running any virtualization so I dont know on that front. I installed the Marvell utility within 2012 R2 and it seems to at least provide the S.M.A.R.T. information real time if I want to look at it. 

Hope this helps.

Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Has anyone gotten any kind of hardware status written to their event log?  Looking to use this server and we can't rely on the email in the Marvell utility for drive failure alerts.  I yanked a drive and didn't see anything written to the event log.  The Marvell Utlity popped up lots of things on the screen, but nobody is going to be looking at the console every day.  I'm going to see if I can get anything through SNMP or WMI.

Tom

HP_serv
Occasional Visitor

Hi Tom,

Were you able to find a way to receive an automated message in case the raid array will experience any problems?

Thanks, Ron