1753814 Members
7917 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID Problem - SA6i and 300GB RAID-1

Keith W
Frequent Advisor

RAID Problem - SA6i and 300GB RAID-1

I have 2 identical DL380 G4 servers. Each has 6 x 300GB U320 15k drives.

I am currently testing on these servers and configured each server to have drives 0 and 1 paired in a RAID 1 mirror.

However, drive 1 in both servers has the red light on and the ACU on both servers reports a failed drive.

I have tried swapping the drive for another of the (8) spare 300GB drives we have and the array starts to rebuild for a short while before the red light comes on again!

Is this a server problem (I am doubtful as both servers exhibit the same problem) or a drive problem (again, doubtful as several new disks have been tried, or am I just doing something wrong (I doubt it because I have done this many times, though not with 300GB drives).

Both servers are from the same batch with almost sequential serial numbers, as are the drives.

Any advice much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Iain McCracken
Frequent Advisor

Have you contacted Hp you could have a SCSI backplane problem alow its odd to have the same slot in two servers with the same fault
CA1411522

please check the following:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00859596&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Ensure the Hard drive and Smart Array controller firmware are upto date.

Also try installing any two 300GB drives in the slot 2 & 3 and create RAID-1 to find whether the slot is creating the issue.

Keith W
Frequent Advisor

I have called HP and I am now waiting for them to get back to me having confirmed latest firmware etc.

I will try tomorrow if I get chance creating an array on 2/3 or 4/5 and see what happens.

I will update the thread when I know more.
Keith W
Frequent Advisor

After speaking with HP support, I have reset the NVRAM on the servers and the problem seems to have resolved itself!