ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752806 Members
6303 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RDP-TCP (Remote Desktop) problem on network card with dual port

RDP-TCP (Remote Desktop) problem on network card with dual port

Hello there,

I need help. I tried a lot of things but nothing helped.
I can't get along without his help.

Problem: RDP connection (Remote Dekstop) is failing sometimes and ping is OK. Another network services are running. This problem occurs on our HP servers with Dual Port Gigabit Network card.
The rest of server works without any problems.

Local Solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555382/en-us (change network setting on RDP-listener)

"Correct network adapter is bound to RDP-TCP connection. To do this, follow these steps:
1. On the server, logon to the server locally (not using Remote Desktop/Terminal Client).
2. Click Start, Run, type "tscc.msc /s" (without qutation marks and click OK.
3. In the Terminal Services Configuration snap-in double-click Connections, then RDP-Tcp in the right pane.
4. Click the Network Adapter tab, select the correct network adapter and click OK.
5. Make sure that you can establish an RDP connection to the server."

We only switch тАЬAll network adapters/specific local area connection adapterтАЭ and then it starts working (Both setting is correct). The setting is always correct. ItтАЩs a nice solution only when I have locally access to the problemтАЩs servers but ... when I canтАЩt go locally to the affected it is a big problem. This problem is repeating after 2 or more days on these servers. Setting is always correct and win registry are also OK. We have no problem on another server with different network card. Only one port on DUAL PORT is active, second one is disconnected. There are no errors in event log.

ProblemтАЩs servers:
ProLiant DL380 G4 ( HP NC7782 Gigabit Server Adapter) and ProLiant DL380 G5 (NC373i)
Only one port on NIC is connected to the network.

I tried:
тАв update network cardтАЩs drivers
тАв turn on/off HP teaming and change some settings
тАв and a lot of another things

Any IDEA?

Thank you for your help ...
4 REPLIES 4
Steve_576
Frequent Advisor

Re: RDP-TCP (Remote Desktop) problem on network card with dual port

Hello -

I am have the same problem on a DL380G4 Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Storage Server. The server has been running problem free for 6 months and then we applied SP2.

What happens is that when trying to RDP to the unit, the client end seems to make a connect attempt that takes less than a second then just returns to the RDP connection screen. Its sporadic, sometimes it connects, somes it does nothing at all.

No error, no events on either the RDP client or the RDP server.

We did not have the issue on this server prior to SP2.

I've read a handful of posts from other people with a similar issue and the common thread is that the problem seems to affect some HP DL3xxx servers. I've not run into anyone with the problem who does not have an HP DL3xxx server.

Did you ever find a reolution to your problem?

We have tried the various article that relate to dual port network card issues, but nothing has worked.

Anyone offer any help?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

We applied SP2 on Win2k3 but the same problem still persists. We have configured iLO. When we have a problem with RDP then use iLO for remote desktop and then use procedure described in: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555382/en-us

We didn't find any other solution. :-(

Tried upgrade FW and last driver's update. Nothing help.
Steve_576
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kris - Thanks for the info but no effect.

Same as the other poster, I can ping, use services, ILO, etc to the unit. RDP does not generate any events or errors on either client or server end.