ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753821 Members
9388 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 0 to 5 conversion

CA1280996

Raid 0 to 5 conversion

Greetings and thanks in advance for any/all responses. I inherited a Proliant ML370 P3/1GB Ram that is Raid 0 with 1 9.1GB drive for 0S and 3 18.2GB Ultrawide SCSI 2 for storage and 1 of these drives is failing I/0 functions. Can I add 1 18.2GB drive and convert from R0 to R5, and secondly is it then possible to replace failing drive?
Thanks again for all responses.
4 REPLIES 4
CA1063111
Advisor

Hallo,
in a Raid 0 Array there is no change to replace a Drive.
All Data are on all Drives with no redundanz. You lost all your Data.
You can Backup your Data and delete the Data Raid 0 with the defekt 18GB Drive. Then you can add the two (or more) 18GB to the System Raid 0 Drive. After this you can convert from R0 to R5. Then you can create a new Data Logical Drive and restore the Backup.
Note: you can only use 9GB from the 18GB Drives !
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Doug,

I believe the failed drive is a drive which is a member of the RAID 5 set if so you do not need to do a raid conversion or anything jsut do this if you ahve a replacement drive for the failed one

1. Backup your data
2. Power down server and pul the failed drive Out
3. Pop in the new drive in place of the bad drive
4. Power up server and when prompted with F1 and F2 on POSt choose the option that will allow you to go to intrim recovery mode

If the failed drive is the RAID 0 which is the 9GB drive it means you lost you operating system and you have to replace and recreat that array and reinstall the operating system

Hope this helps. If you have more question do not hesitate

Regards
Amha Kassa
CA1280996

Both partitions are raid0, one of the drives in the 50GB partition is failing - not totally failed, is there no way to save the data? I do have tape backup so if necessary it can be used for recovery.
CA1063111
Advisor

Hallo,
In a Raid 0 Drive there is no redundanz. When A drive is missing the data from this drives lost.
yput last change is : Backup all data to tapebackup, delete the data array, replace the defekt drive, create a new raid5 Array, and restore your data.
Add a second drive to the system Raid0 Array and convert it to raid1 !