ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1752616 Members
4312 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 5 Hard disk Failure

Raid 5 Hard disk Failure

Dear Friends
I am facing a problem with my ML 350 W2K server, its configured with raid 5 (3x 36.4 GB 10kRPM hot plug scsihdds and 2x 36gb 15kRPM hot plug scsihdds), it was working fine all these days, now one of the hdd 36.4 SCSI hdd with 10k is failed, still server is working, and i will be getting the new one ie 36 GB 15k SCSI hdd shortly, what is the procedure for replacing the defective one, can i replace this online? or do i have to rebuild the raid again? Please let me know the correct procedure to replace the hard disk.
Thanks in Advance
Raneesh
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Raneesh,

Though Mixing HDDs with different Speeds will work ok, it is not recommended; 15k drive will work on a much slower speed. Hence, SCSI downshift errors are quite possibled; Which is BAD for the HDDs/RAID on a longtime run;

Hence, to avoid all that, replace the HDDs with 10k or 15k drives;

Secondly, If everything is set correctly, RAID will start rebuilding automatically, after you replace the HDD; NO manual interference is required.

Regards,
James.

Thank You Sujith for your quick response, incase i replace all older hard disks withnew one (ie 10k 3hdds including a defective one), can i do it without disturbing the data, i mean one by one i can remove and plug it or i need to recreate a raid again for this?

Thanks in advance
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Yes Of Course Da, that can be achieved;
Replace one HDD, wait for the REBUILD to be completed; then replace the other; one-by-one !

You can see the Status of the Rebuild using the HP ACU; download from:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/

Regards,
James.

Thanks Sujith for sharing valuable information. Take care Bye.