1751977 Members
4505 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace Smart Array 5i Card

CA1227533
Occasional Contributor

Replace Smart Array 5i Card

I had a 5i card go bad in my DL380 G2 server. Card would not post. I contacted HP and they will send a new one, but of course its back ordered.
In the meantime I have gotten my hands on a spare.
Before I put this in, I want to know what I need to do. Obviously put the card in, but when it boots up, I want it to use my current drive configuration. Obviously I don't want to lose my data or config.
Anyone got info on how to do this right the first time?
Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
CA1227533
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I guess the big question I have is "where will it pull the drive configuratrion from".
Obviously my goal here is to NOT blow away whats on the drives.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20143.html also ATTENTION! Message might be related if different Firmware on the Controllers, otherwise no problems you can replace controller
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Martin:

Since your replacing a Smart Array Controller with a Smart Array Controller, the drive configuration should be read from the drives as with most SA controllers since it stores it there.

Your Logical Disks/Arrays should be intact with no data loss.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

All drive configuration reside in RIS, bios will take care for Your Controller, 5i default to boot first in your system, so it should go smoothly, nothing extra, Complication can be if your Driver is above of expected firmware on the Replacement card
CA1227533
Occasional Contributor

Great! Thanks for your help!